Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
Can anyone recommend (as in I've used such & such on my R3 with great success) a good replacement rear brake rotor for an 05' R3. The rear rotor was warped badly when I got the bike. Bought a used replacement off ebay. I rarely ever use my back brake but had bought some EBC HH pads awhile back, so I threw them in last night. The rear brake pulsates something terrible. Tried sanding the glaze off and bedded them in gently again, but still have the pulsation. My take is that the stock rotor is a POS. Thinking I would like to try the aftermarket. Pretty sure it pulsated with the original pads but the rear brake was so weak you couldn't feel it. Dragging my feet would work just as well.

i didn't know that u had abs on your 05:D
good luck on the new rotor
i think every one here takes it easy on the rear break to keep the tire from sliding.:unsure:

Do you have a friend or friends in a machine shop, auto parts store or a auto shop that has a brake lathe? The inside diameter ot the rear rotor looks like it could be fitted onto a lathe if someone was willing to mess around with it. Then you could turn it down and straighten it out. Or possible a metal lathe with the right fixtures. The problem with bike rotors is they are thin to begin with and it really does not take too much to warp them. Just a thought.

i didn't know that u had abs on your 05:D
good luck on the new rotor
i think every one here takes it easy on the rear break to keep the tire from sliding.:unsure:

With the stock pads the brake had almost no feel. Felt like it would barely slow the bike. As you pressed harder on the pedal then it would lock the rear wheel. The EBC HH pads have a lot more grip, but the rotor feels like it varies in thickness from one area to the next. When almost stopped, the bike literally feels like your pumping the pedal. I don't feel the pulsation in the pedal itself though.

With ABS the rear brake gets more use. Your are correct though, even with ABS activated and getting all the grip it can the rear isn't terribly effective slowing from any part of speed on its own.

Mine gets a TON of use though, dragging it through corners to tighten a line, dragging it around parking lots for increased stability and reduced first gear drive lash, dragging it firmly to settle the ass end while hard on the front, all uses I encounter everyday. My stock rear pads were gone in around 5k miles lol, but I'm sure that had to do with dragging it hard on the freeway while tuning my bike so simulate high loads in 5th gear. It's so cheap and easy to swap them though, no reason to not use it a lot.

Without ABS I think I'd not use it much either because it does have a pretty low lock threshold.

There are a few companies that make replacement discs, try EBC,Galfer, Brembo for a start.

Hey Fred. I swapped the front rotors on mine a while back and the brakes felt a little like you described. Particularly bad just before I pulled up. It turned out that the previous owner had sprayed them with some stuff for storage. Both he and I had cleaned them before I installed them but not well enough and they must have had a little left on at least part of the rotor/s. I cleaned them again but very carefully with brake cleaner and wet and dry. Did the pads too. After that they were perfect. Maybe yours have a spot that is slipperier than the rest of the disc. Worth a try at least - before buying a new one.

There aren't many options, and for the R3 Touring there appears to be eff all (unless there are and manufacturers just don't know it...) I'd really like to put some great contoured EBC's on her up front but no go.

EBC Pro-Lite Replacement Rear Brake Rotor Triumph Rocket III 04-13

EBC Pro-Lite Rear Brake Rotor - Motorcycle Superstore

USA_Motorcycle_Catalogue_2016

Edit again: my google-fu turned up this also, though they're front only. Good looking discs though I thought. Wavy Front Brake Discs Triumph Rocket III 2004>2012

Last edited:
Back