Reading the R 3 Forum about heated grips saved my 18 day Vacation

trapper

.040 Over
Ride
2014 R111 T and 2012 R111 Roaster
About 500 miles into a 3000 mile bike trip I was sitting at a traffic light and when it turned green I gave it the gas and the throttle broke. Since I have heated grips my first thought was that the grip was broken and since I carry my original because I read the forum and found out about the heated grip problems I thought the fix would be easy. Well much to my dismay I found that the throttle cable had broken instead on 2014 RIII with less than 6000 miles on it. Of course we called the our dealer,and several others to see if someone would by chance have the part but no luck with the exception of Manayunk Triumph in Philadelphia which was about 1200 miles from me and they told me they could order them at 2 PM on Saturday and have Tuesday. We were going through Philadelphia but now how to get there was the question. We'll Slidderhd had written a replied on the Heated Grips Broken again tread that he had his heated grip break but had taken the push cable out made a few mods to the broken handle used duct tape to hold it in place and allowing the push cable to become the pull cable and the return spring to close the throttle.

I had nothing to lose so I went to work I knew this was no short trip home so I took a small piece of plastic hose and let the cable run through it so that it wouldn't rub on the housing and adjust the cable adjusters all the way out. It was still a little to long but I think I almost had full throttle. Anyway it worked for over 1200 miles. Saved the trip and I have to tell you the guys at Manayunk Triumph in Philadelphia were the best. They called us told us the part was there we picked it up and bought a bunch of Triumph gear as well. To Slidderhd who gave me the idea to use the return cable as the pull I want to thank you for saving my 18 day vacation.

One other note the throttle cable broke right where the cable is connected at the grip. Which means that somehow it cable fitting seized up in the plastic grip. This may sound crazy but this could be why these grips are breaking. Maybe when they get hot the stuff they use to keep them from sticking to the mold when they are made somehow gets liquid and then when it cools down it binds the cable and breaks the grip. At any rate if you have heated grips it might be worth your time to just take the grip apart and make sure it is all moving free.

Trapper

I love a happy ending... @TOMCAT had to do a similar thing whilst riding around Tasmania.
It is a reasonably common thing to hear of a pull throttle cable breaking - I carry a spare my air box.
I heard a saying that I like "Its better to be looking at a part than looking for it".
And because I carry a few spares Murphys Law says I will never need them. But somone might need them.

Also most non dealer type motorcycle workshops can solder a new end on the cable or replace the inner cable- and then your off.

Also most non dealer type motorcycle workshops can solder a new end on the cable or replace the inner cable- and then your off.
You are correct we tried a Harley dealer that was a few miles away and they refused to help. In fact I even offered to pay him if he would let me use the tools they refused that to. There wasn't a Walmart near by or auto parts store to buy the tools I needed so without getting a wrecker to haul me somewhere down the road where I could find a bike shop willing to help or the tools I needed to fix it myself I chose the easiest way out considering all the circumstances. Sad part is that If I had been able to do it that way it would have taken me a lot less time but the tool weren't available.

This parts availability thing concerns me. First we have to deal with a very weak dealer network, on trips I have taken I have at times been hundreds of miles from the nearest dealer and then they don't have much for parts on hand. I mean,A throttle cable is pretty basic and the closet one was 1200 miles away and they still had to order it. I had a similar problem with a sensor o-ring just before a trip.didn't have time to order from warehouse. I found a dealer 2 states away that had one on the shelf and overnighted it to me. I bought my bike to travel with but I increasingly find myself nervous about traveling very far from home. I'm glad you were able to save your trip but you shouldn't of had to go through that. Triumph needs to do something about stocking more parts at dealers. Just my thoughts and concerns

Ridefree

Refused to help? What an *******.
Several years ago I was riding with some friends and they wanted to go to a local HD dealership. Whilst riding into their parking lot one of my friends picked up a nail in his front tyre. Although they carry a tyre that fitted, they refused to work on it because it was not a HD. Apparently, according to them, their "technicians" are not trained to work on any other sorts of bikes.

Several years ago I was riding with some friends and they wanted to go to a local HD dealership. Whilst riding into their parking lot one of my friends picked up a nail in his front tyre. Although they carry a tyre that fitted, they refused to work on it because it was not a HD. Apparently, according to them, their "technicians" are not trained to work on any other sorts of bikes.

This parts availability thing concerns me.
Such is the honor of having a non-mainstream product. No it's not!. Not even in the UK. Ride a 675cc Street Triple and parts are everywhere.

Having ridden "exotics" ever since I passed my test - I make parts. My R3 throttle for example runs on bearings - the handle bar having been reduced to 7/8" tube where the throttle grip is; made the bars too.
Cables I freely admit I'm not good at. But my mate Felix can make them from scratch pretty much in his sleep. I'm learning slowly.

Ian - therein lies the problem - Vehicles require MECHANICS not TECHNICIANS. Even the best engineer needs **** good toolmaker or fitter. If they call you sir rather than mate, son etc - run.

I am however concerned that you have friends that would want to visit an HD franchise (unless it was to extract the Michael). You'll be treating Steinways like pianos next.

btw how are Curry spares there?. Found a place in the UK with a catalogue that is , well, stunning. http://content.yudu.com/Library/A34ipd/20142015HitchcocksMo/?refid=132176

It's not entirely inaccurate.....they are not trained to work on REAL motorcycles:roll:

Back