Random thoughts on my new to me R3T

Dadoo

Standard Bore
Ride
2009 R3T
My name is John although my kids and grand kids call me Dadoo. I like to go on long, cross country rides and thought I would try something different than the old Goldwing that has served me well. For several years I have wanted to own an R3T. In the fall of 2016 I found a good deal on a well cared for 2009. I immediately put on new tires and rode it from Chicago to Denver. This trip covered about 2,400 miles or 3820 KM in 5 days. The R3T is an amazing machine that is really a cruiser in stock form. Now some observations.

The engine buzzes at high speed more than I thought it would although I got used to it.
It's ability to easily accelerate and pass in high gear was nice.
I traveled at high speed and still achieved good economy. Average 40 MPG.
The fuel gauge was designed by a drunk and doesn't need to be computerized.
The delayed starter relay setup was also a bad design and will be modified.
I am still searching this forum and the internet for a cure for the clutch release setup that rattles like a sack of marbles unless I gently pull the clutch lever to take up the slack. I have owned many other brands and have not encountered an issue like this. This issue may cause me to sell this machine.
It appears that tire life may be short as my rear tire shows considerable wear in a short time and use.

I know it sounds like I am *****ing about an amazing machine but I hope that with some ingenuity and help from the good folks on this site that I can make this the touring machine of my dreams.

Every bike is different even amongst the Rockets. As for vibration, my 2015 is smoother than my 2013. And any vibration only seems to become a issue starting at 75-80. Clutch rattle is only at idle with clutch out...learn to ignore it. Fuel gage...who really needs it if it fails or is slow as long as the odometer works. Rear tire life....I had no serious expectations of longevity with the weight and torque. I think tires are cheap compared to my truck. Learn to take the tire off yourself and then taking it to someone good to change it for around $50. Keep a spare replacement around. I don't even know about the starter relay delay unless you talking about the time for it to cycle and the fuel pump to pressure up. Never been an issue. Screw the mileage, enjoy the power and the torque, try not to worry about the things that might go wrong, have good road service plan, keep you maintenance up and enjoy the ride as long as it's running good. Just my thoughts after owning one for several years...the forum has help ease the pain a lot.

Every bike is different even amongst the Rockets. As for vibration, my 2015 is smoother than my 2013. And any vibration only seems to become a issue starting at 75-80. Clutch rattle is only at idle with clutch out...learn to ignore it. Fuel gage...who really needs it if it fails or is slow as long as the odometer works. Rear tire life....I had no serious expectations of longevity with the weight and torque. I think tires are cheap compared to my truck. Learn to take the tire off yourself and then taking it to someone good to change it for around $50. Keep a spare replacement around. I don't even know about the starter relay delay unless you talking about the time for it to cycle and the fuel pump to pressure up. Never been an issue. Screw the mileage, enjoy the power and the torque, try not to worry about the things that might go wrong, have good road service plan, keep you maintenance up and enjoy the ride as long as it's running good. Just my thoughts after owning one for several years...the forum has help ease the pain a lot.

Thank you for your reply. I need to get used to the buzzy vibration because I cruise at 75 to 85 when I'm on the interstates. I prefer 2 lane roads but use the super slab when necessary. As to the tires, I always change my own, so labor cost is not a factor. I thought that 40 MPG was real good for such a beast, so no complaints there. Clutch rattle....my main complaint. It rattles at any speed and is felt from the floorboards to the bars and disappears with a gentle pull of the clutch lever. I hope to be able to address this issue. It makes the ride less pleasant. I am used to my old, 1982, full dress Gold Wing that is smooth at any speed. It has taken me to all four borders of the USA without a misfire. I hope to do the same with the Rocket.

Welcome, never had a clutch rattle, re tires, many opinions, I like Avon Cobras, but most agree anything but the stock Metzzlers, I don't think I ever got 5000 miles out of a rear.

Welcome from Maine!! I still have the stock Metz on mine, course it's only got 3 miles on it:(

Hoopla

Back