Rocket3Pilot

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket III Roadster
This is a continuation of my "Add On's" experiment.

First I simply opened the secondaries 100% on my stock 2013 roadster and was surprised after all the hoopla over this trick, that I could detect no change? Went back and forth between tunes to verify.

Then, Clavier pointed out that it's not just the secondaries that are restricting the performance it's also the timing maps in 1st and 2nd gear. I followed his advice and copied the i3 map to the i2 and i1 and OMG!!!
Now, "THAT"S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT" That is a crazy big difference and I really do have to hang on if I snap the throttle! YEHA!

Next I just simply added the Ramair kit. I thought this was very interesting and I remember someone commenting(but now I can't find it) that just Ramair will "reduce low end torque"? I remember the comment because it rang true to my experience from looooong time ago when I used to hot rod VW engines. The theory was that intake "velocity" plays a huge part in the equation. Well it did not surprise me then, that just adding Ramair actually reduced the low end torque noticeably. The surprise, however, was how LOUD the intake is. I was disappointed. I know the torque will come back in buckets when I open up the exhaust and continue improving the tune to match but I'm not sure I can live with that noise?
It's not bad up to 2800rpms with no load but when I'm cruising I'm usually at 3100rpms 80-85+ and it's louder by a lot. Accelerating through the gears is fun though, as it sounds like a stock car snarling?

More later as I add the goodies............

I haven't found the noise objectionable at all when going down the road, and when I'm accelerating... well, it just adds to the fun with some induction roar.

Of course, since I like being able to hear without having to shout SPEAK UP SONNY!! I always wear earplugs without fail.

Last edited:
I haven't found the noise objectionable at all when going down the road, and when I'm accelerating... well, it just adds to the fun with some induction roar.

Of course, since I like being able to hear without having to shout SPEAK UP SONNY!! I always wear earplugs without fail.

I know each persons noise limits will be subjective. I'm just trying to define or describe the difference's objectively for those who might be contemplating these mod's. I also wear earplugs and have installed dynamat in my schubert helmet to reduce decibels as I like the long distance stuff. I've seen the noise described as crickets? They don't start up till about 2900rpm's at cruise. To my ears, it's the valves slapping the seats, and at first it alarmed me that it didn't sound healthy for the engine? I don't think I can do 700 to 900 mile days with that sound in my head.(pun intended)

This is a continuation of my "Add On's" experiment.

First I simply opened the secondaries 100% on my stock 2013 roadster and was surprised after all the hoopla over this trick, that I could detect no change? Went back and forth between tunes to verify.

Then, Clavier pointed out that it's not just the secondaries that are restricting the performance it's also the timing maps in 1st and 2nd gear. I followed his advice and copied the i3 map to the i2 and i1 and OMG!!!
Now, "THAT"S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT" That is a crazy big difference and I really do have to hang on if I snap the throttle! YEHA!

Next I just simply added the Ramair kit. I thought this was very interesting and I remember someone commenting(but now I can't find it) that just Ramair will "reduce low end torque"? I remember the comment because it rang true to my experience from looooong time ago when I used to hot rod VW engines. The theory was that intake "velocity" plays a huge part in the equation. Well it did not surprise me then, that just adding Ramair actually reduced the low end torque noticeably. The surprise, however, was how LOUD the intake is. I was disappointed. I know the torque will come back in buckets when I open up the exhaust and continue improving the tune to match but I'm not sure I can live with that noise?
It's not bad up to 2800rpms with no load but when I'm cruising I'm usually at 3100rpms 80-85+ and it's louder by a lot. Accelerating through the gears is fun though, as it sounds like a stock car snarling?

More later as I add the goodies............
Cruising at 85 MPH is going to get you in trouble for sure just a matter of when

Ahh, that crickets thing. Yeah I don't even know what you're talking about there, to be honest. But yes, it DEFINITELY alters the noise level and some people have found it so objectionable here on the board that they couldn't live with it.

Back