RamAir & Wet or Rainy Conditions??

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I am looking for feedback from members who are running Ramair on their Rockets. Excluding washing your bike, have you had any issues in rainy or wet conditions? I ask this question because of the more exposed filtering system. In my question, I really want to know if it affects the actual running of the engine?

Last edited:
I am looking for feedback from members who are running Ramair on their Rockets. Excluding washing your bike, have you had any issues in rainy or wet conditions? I ask this question because of the more exposed filtering system.

Actually how do u wash a bike with Ramair or K&N exposed filters? Big plastic bag over the bear-claw?

Actually how do u wash a bike with Ramair or K&N exposed filters? Big plastic bag over the bear-claw?

I would think "Yes" to the plastic bag over the filters. I would be inclined to remove the bear claw for easier coverage of the filters. I am careful not to spray much water in that area on either side even though I still have the stock system installed. I'm asking my question for a future install.

If the filter element becomes damaged due to humidity? Clean it, dry it and oil it up with the RamAir chemicals. Order another one. To put the whole thing back in is nuts. o_O Wanting to cut some of the BearClaw to let more cool air reach the filters.

I didn't know that the Ram Air filter was to be oiled. One of our forum members corrected me in another thread about my concerns and assumptions with riding a Rocket in the rain with the Ram Air filter.

On washing, I never turn the hose on any of my bike fuel tanks. I wash the tanks with a wet cloth and then hand dry.

I didn't know that the Ram Air filter was to be oiled. One of our forum members corrected me in another thread about my concerns and assumptions with riding a Rocket in the rain with the Ram Air filter.

On washing, I never turn the hose on any of my bike fuel tanks. I wash the tanks with a wet cloth and then hand dry.

I knew it had to be cleaned and oiled, so I order those things when I ordered the Ramair. My question really goes to whether it affect the running of the engine?

I knew it had to be cleaned and oiled, so I order those things when I ordered the Ramair. My question really goes to whether it affect the running of the engine?

The correctly oiled filter will collect minuscule particles that would otherwise be aspirated by the motor. Ram air sells a kit that contains a cleaning solution and a special treatment for their foam elements. It's not the red stuff you spray on the K&N. I'm sure one could buy just the foam element if that were necessary.

K&N's can get wet with no problem, provided they are oiled properly.
They don't let water through.

I don't know, but suspect the Ramair won't let water in either. That would be a pretty bad design if you couldn't ride in a downpour.

Good thing I read this thread. I'll have to order some of the oil. Mine didn't come with any instructions for care and feeding of the filter.

Back