Ramair vs Unifilters vs K&N ?

Hipporider

Supercharged
Ride
2005 Rocket 3, 2010 R3R
Ive been running Unifilters for well over 80000klm or more i think. My understanding at the time was that they breathed better than the K&N's. I know little about Ramair. What i do know about Unifilters is they leave an oily mess,even after ive squeezed the excess out heavily. Whats the performance and air filtering differences .folks?

I run Outerwear prefilters over my Unifilters and do not get any oil residue on my jeans. I do use the spray on filter oil and lightly spray the outer foam before I wipe filter surface with clean rag to remove excess.

Just had a thought, that last post reminded me, I just put the ramAir filter on my 2015 r3T, and as you all know the filter is bone dry, ...Question is should I go ahead and wet the filters or I would assume just leave them alone until they need cleaning

Ramairs are usually slightly tacky - they use a weird polymer that goes sort of dry - My understanding is they all leave the factory treated.

Yup, if you have any doubts about its oiliness/coatedness take a look at it a few rides after it has been fitted. You will see bits of debris stuck on the outer surface.

I have been thinking about the K&N's myself...mainly to get thing more out of the way to make the bike easier to work on. I am a little concerned about losing the air flow through and under the seat created by the stock air intake system. The temperature and heat from the engine may migrate more into the seat pan and make for a hotter ride in the summer.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about the K&N's myself...mainly to get thing more out of the way to make the bike easier to work on. I am a little concerned about losing the air flow through and under the seat created by the stock air intake system. The temperature and heat from the engine my migrate more into the seat pan and make for a hotter ride in the summer.

I didnt notice any underseat temperature difference myself after switching to filter on the throttle bodies. The biggest creator of heat is when the cooling fan switches on and blasts hot air over your legs. Though in the UK thats generally a good thing :)

I didnt notice any underseat temperature difference myself after switching to filter on the throttle bodies. The biggest creator of heat is when the cooling fan switches on and blasts hot air over your legs. Though in the UK thats generally a good thing :)

Similar here in WA State.
Usually the warm air is welcome.

In Canada most of the year its an essential part of being able to ride at all!

Back