RamAir or K&N 2780 + more power on a budget

blip

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
So after a lot of research I am pulling the trigger on some mods to the bike. Unfortunately budget has to be a limiting factor, I've had unexpected repairs on the wife's bike eat into my toy fund lol.

Nevertheless here is what I am going to do (unless I am convinced otherwise):
- Start with my 2014 Rocket III roadster
- Add TORS
- Add either K & N 2780 or Ramair filter
- Add Paul Bryant's crossover pipe replacement
- Load the right TuneECU Tune

The goal for me is more horsepower / TQ, sound, and god willing ..... fuel economy.

Here is my first question ...... Which is better .... the K and N triple filters or the Ramair filter. Also keep in mind that I would prefer not to replace the bearclaw yet but will upgrade to an ozclaw at some point (those things are sweet!)

Second question .... what do people think of the plan? Is this going to get the HP gain that I am hoping? Is there something else I should be doing instead? From discussions on the forum I have the expectation these mods will bring me from 115 rwhp to 145 rwhp (i.e. a +30 HP gain). I could add a dobek AFR+, PCV with AT, or Tuneboy with the O2 sensor if it would help significantly.

I have the triple K&N filters. If I were to do it again then I would use the RamAir.

I have a Touring but I also went with the RamAir. I have TORS which gave a little horsepower and the RamAir which gave me about 11 more HP on the dyno. That is a pretty good return on the cost. HP usually costs quite a bit more. After doing the mods you gas mileage may actually go down, it happens more often than not. It could be a few things but I think in my case is because I *may* be a little heavy handed on the throttle more often than not.

bob

Without internal engine mods your air filter choice won't really matter but personally for ease of fitment I would go Ramair. The crossover pipe in the Roadster will only make a slight difference as there is nothing in the crossover box. The biggest hp gain would be changing the headers to a free flowing set of pipes. I got 165hp from k&n 2780 and Reband exhaust with a dyno tune.

My only hesitation in a full system is that I like the look of the TORS with the corbin beattle bags. Also full systems are about 2000 CAD any way you slice it, and that starts to hit the budget limit.

My thought was as a phase 2 was to get CES or Paul Bryant headers and hook up to the TORS. Would that be almost as good as the full system?

Best bang for your bucks is Ramair or KNs with TORs and that crossover pipe.
And a map that fits.
Very nice power gain all over the rev band.

Prost
Ulf

Funny, one thread is blown clutch, other thread, more power:laugh:. When your ready to load a tune, I got my cord working properly on my new laptop, welcome to come out and load it:thumbsup:

I'm glad someone put those together lol.

Sounds good! I've got a cord in the mail but would love some help / advice.

I am ordering all my bits this week so it will take a bit to get everything here and installed.

So after a lot of research I am pulling the trigger on some mods to the bike. Unfortunately budget has to be a limiting factor, I've had unexpected repairs on the wife's bike eat into my toy fund lol.

- Add TORS

The goal for me is more horsepower / TQ, sound, and god willing ..... fuel economy.

Here is my first question ...... Which is better .... the K and N triple filters or the Ramair filter. Also keep in mind that I would prefer not to replace the bearclaw yet but will upgrade to an ozclaw at some point (those things are sweet!)

Second question .... what do people think of the plan? Is this going to get the HP gain that I am hoping? Is there something else I should be doing instead? From discussions on the forum I have the expectation these mods will bring me from 115 rwhp to 145 rwhp (i.e. a +30 HP gain). I could add a dobek AFR+, PCV with AT, or Tuneboy with the O2 sensor if it would help significantly.
hello...any idea of a cost after its all said and done? I looked into getting more power from my 05 rocket.....a carpenter exhaust and tune only from tuneboy according to them will raise rear wheel hp to almost 168...with a 2300 price tag however....and improve fuel mileage...carpenter racing is in nj prob a cpl hrs away so im gonna take a ride down there 1 day and check out some of their bikes

- Add TORS

I have a 2013 roadster and had that exact setup, and then added the Paul Bryant headers. The HP gain before the headers was significant and a real thrill. Well worth the investment, and then the headers was again double the increase, but of course more money. I have tried several different tunes and even added PCV+AT in an attempt to get my MPG back to stock 38 to 40 and the best I've been able to achieve is 32mpg, but usually 28mpg? All of the tunes i've tried are close to the same power wise and so far, I'm sorry I spent the money on the PCV+AT. It didn't do anything for the bike at all.

Back