RAMAIR FILTER CHANGE OUT

patrol21

.060 Over
Ride
2009 R3 RAMAIR Intake Full Jardine Exhaust Cor
Hello....just ordered a RAM AIR until from UK. In the mail already. Have seen a thread on this already. install looks like a snap. I am currently running Jardine full exhaust so I have to assume this is going to let the bike breath a hell of a lot better. Couple of questions

1) I did not set the bike or map up with the Jardines. Will the self reset (12 minute) be sufficient? From install instructions they claim it is but I have my doubts
2) I am not running a power commander. I know some folks swear by them but after my last bike that was running a programmable WECO (on a VROD Screaming eagle)...it was literally a constant pain in backside trying to keep an agreeable tune in varying conditions. Used to ride my 95tbird with dynojet stage one set up a ton more..just for the fact even with Mikuni's and the set up I did, it was a ton more trustworthy
3) I know a lot of folks taunt the ECU tune but I see a lot of tinkering and some folks are constantly playing with it which goes right back to the issues I had with the HD with the WECO set up.
4) I get a touch of decel popping with my current map with the Jardines. Its slight and from what I have seen in the past, its common with these pipes. Opening up the air will lean me up a bit more, so I am weary about the self tune keeping up. I have seen some chats about an add on that is a plug and play that tricks the sensor to feed more fuel by tricking the bike into thinking its colder than actual external temp..any thoughts on that? From forums its not a fuel consuming either....just a thought...

PM hanso's with your year, modal, exhaust, and ram air. Give him a couple of weeks to respond his computer is down. He will give you a very good tune for your setup. Give him your email address tooooooo:eek::D:p

Given your reluctance to play with tunes (a reluctance I share) get your dealer to load the TORS map and run the 12 minute retune once the filter is on - or just ride the thing. The Ramair is just a different filter and isn't going to change your a:f by so much as to need a whole new tune. But if you do happen to get a lot of decal popping you can always look at adding a little more fuel to the mix with something like a Dobek TFI.

Hello....just ordered a RAM AIR until from UK. In the mail already. Have seen a thread on this already. install looks like a snap. I am currently running Jardine full exhaust so I have to assume this is going to let the bike breath a hell of a lot better. Couple of questions

1) I did not set the bike or map up with the Jardines. Will the self reset (12 minute) be sufficient? From install instructions they claim it is but I have my doubts
2) I am not running a power commander. I know some folks swear by them but after my last bike that was running a programmable WECO (on a VROD Screaming eagle)...it was literally a constant pain in backside trying to keep an agreeable tune in varying conditions. Used to ride my 95tbird with dynojet stage one set up a ton more..just for the fact even with Mikuni's and the set up I did, it was a ton more trustworthy
3) I know a lot of folks taunt the ECU tune but I see a lot of tinkering and some folks are constantly playing with it which goes right back to the issues I had with the HD with the WECO set up.
4) I get a touch of decel popping with my current map with the Jardines. Its slight and from what I have seen in the past, its common with these pipes. Opening up the air will lean me up a bit more, so I am weary about the self tune keeping up. I have seen some chats about an add on that is a plug and play that tricks the sensor to feed more fuel by tricking the bike into thinking its colder than actual external temp..any thoughts on that? From forums its not a fuel consuming either....just a thought...

I just received a Ram Air and shall install soon. I also will get it re tuned on the dyno for comparison purposes.
If you use Tune ECU with a competent tuner on a dyno, you don't need a Power Commander.
@albertaduke has Jardines and a RamAir on his Rocket. He also had it tuned on a dyno with me.
You might contact Patrick.

Like they said....But when you install said piece, make sure you DO NOT over tighten the hose clamps. Not even a little as the rubber WILL break!...I learnt the hard way and had to remove the whole thing, take off the broken pieces. I put the filter back on and put plastic ties around the whole thing to hold it on. It works ok but aint how it should be.

Like they said....But when you install said piece, make sure you DO NOT over tighten the hose clamps. Not even a little as the rubber WILL break!...I learnt the hard way and had to remove the whole thing, take off the broken pieces. I put the filter back on and put plastic ties around the whole thing to hold it on. It works ok but aint how it should be.

Roger that....My RAMAIR is in the mail and I am doing the RAMAIR and DP Gen 4 AFR+ at the same time then I will see how that runs before I remap.

Someone posted up a great thread on this somewhere and there is a few decent vids on YouTube...Patience and Beers during the difficult parts....eg getting the clamps off the old plenum.

Cheers.... Greg

Roger that....My RAMAIR is in the mail and I am doing the RAMAIR and DP Gen 4 AFR+ at the same time then I will see how that runs before I remap.

Someone posted up a great thread on this somewhere and there is a few decent vids on YouTube...Patience and Beers during the difficult parts....eg getting the clamps off the old plenum.

Cheers.... Greg
Yep...watched that vid on utube....in fact installed mine following that video, just paused the clip as i was following what he did. I used a penlike magnet to help hold the bolts i was undoing to stop them from falling down behind the oil box...worked a treat, but be patient..

I just received a Ram Air and shall install soon. I also will get it re tuned on the dyno for comparison purposes.
If you use Tune ECU with a competent tuner on a dyno, you don't need a Power Commander.
@albertaduke has Jardines and a RamAir on his Rocket. He also had it tuned on a dyno with me.
You might contact Patrick.
You need a competent dyno tuner who can tune either TuneECU. You also need a competent tuner if you have a Power Commander.

You need a competent dyno tuner who can tune either TuneECU. You also need a competent tuner if you have a Power Commander.

If the bike starts its "SC tuned"...No dyno for 250 miles and I will use my Butt Dyno and a laptop/TuneECU once I put my RAMAIR and DP AFR+ on. Like what could go wrong?:roll::rolleyes::eek::notworthy:o_O

Back