Steamer97

Steamer97
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3, 1986 V-max, 1972 Triumph Daytona
As far as airbox pressure at under 100 mph speed its nice to imagine it. Other forums I'm on proved it a fallacy long ago. Cool air is worth HP though as many know. My question is there a person who has dyno'd their r3 stock, and with the ram air for a comparison? I searched and didn't find this definitive approach. I have often thought of a cool box full of ice with heat exchanger for my other bike. I know it works on my GMC turbo Typhoon. All I have found on this subject is that there is a 40 HP gain with headers and ram air and that isn't proving the ram air at all.

Not enough Rockets around to put $20,000,000 into working out all those parameters. As you mention, RamAir alone is generally installed NOT/NOT for performance - rather uncluttering all the air box plumbing under the tank.

When paired with real headers (diameters matter here), *then* the RamAir allows the motor to breathe better, and performance numbers go up (not forgetting the importance of adjusting the fuel mapping in the ECU based on real data from a dynamometer).

I had my R3T dynoed when I had put on TORS, and then again when the only change I made was a Ram Air system. I gained nearly 11 hp (IIRC) just by switching the stock air cleaner and plumbing system for the Ram Air, probably one of the best (most cost effective) ways to gain 10hp or so. The only better way is to lose weight, 10lbs = 1 HP. ;)

bob

scan0001 (2).jpg

Blue lines after the TORS, red lines after the Ram Air.

Last edited:
As far as airbox pressure at under 100 mph speed its nice to imagine it. Other forums I'm on proved it a fallacy long ago. Cool air is worth HP though as many know. My question is there a person who has dyno'd their r3 stock, and with the ram air for a comparison? I searched and didn't find this definitive approach. I have often thought of a cool box full of ice with heat exchanger for my other bike. I know it works on my GMC turbo Typhoon. All I have found on this subject is that there is a 40 HP gain with headers and ram air and that isn't proving the ram air at all.
If you work on your bike the first time you attempt a valve check you'll understand why Ramair or for that matter any decent aftermarket air intake is a real good idea. My first valve check at 20,000 miles looked at that web of duct work and Cra) and went into the house and ordered a Ramair kit. Good idea to make the maintenance go a bit easier but one thing rolled into another and decided since the air intake is improved might as well do something about the exhaust. Now at 50,000 miles and another valve check decided "Why not replace the stock cams"? It is kind of like a snowball rolling down hill. Once you start you can't stop it.

You wont find a dyno report with Ramair alone. And in my opinion, Ramair alone will lose torque down low and probably cost a couple horse as well. Why? Well a few obvious reasons; its gonna run ever leaner, and your losing that long intake runner. Add to that a restrictive exhaust and its gonna cost quite a bit for maybe a couple horse properly tuned over stock.

However coupled with a better flowing exhaust (its gotta breath to make power, both intake and exhaust and correct fueling and timing) then Ramair makes great power over stock.

Am not that technical inclined. Can say with the Ramair and Paul's complete 3 into one had to upgrade the clutch system:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: Way to much torque in the low and mid range. Getting ready to improve on that to. Tune on bike right now ain't all that but got a feeling after working with a tuner here in Oklahoma and having the man in the tin shed smooth everything else out it should be all good.

However coupled with a better flowing exhaust (its gotta breath to make power, both intake and exhaust and correct fueling and timing) then Ramair makes great power over stock.
...and vicki vercoe...If you decat and install tors or a similar exhaust THEN after a while add Ramair or pods, you will notice the difference nice clean air makes...plus the added air induction noise goin on....

Possible confusion here for some readers.

The UK made RamAir branded filter system that many fit successfully ridding of restrictive stock induction and maintenance issues was originally developed in prototype with a couple members on this forum fellow collaborators. It was subsequently given to RamAir the UK filter manufacturing company to produce commercially for everyone.

IT is NOT a RAMAIR induction system with an enclosed pressurized plenum from speed induced air pressure - although such systems can be built around it or similar designs.

I had my R3T dynoed when I had put on TORS, and then again when the only change I made was a Ram Air system. I gained nearly 11 hp (IIRC) just by switching the stock air cleaner and plumbing system for the Ram Air, probably one of the best (most cost effective) ways to gain 10hp or so. The only better way is to lose weight, 10lbs = 1 HP. ;)
Blue lines after the TORS, red lines after the Ram Air.

I did a similar thing like Bob in 2014: TOR's were installed from the beginning, so I put a RamAir filter on top of that. Then a Power Commander III was installed and tuned for the new setup. Result was 15hp over stock, and a lively midrange.

But the next stage was much more impressive. I bought CES headers and collector. Getting rid of the Power Commander I derestricted the ECU and had it tuned on a dyno, as well. 40hp over stock, and a far better powerband.

So, while the RamAir filter alone was good for maybe 10hp, the new headers proved to be more important.

Back