Raising the Fuel tank on my R3T

cusso ken

Living Legend
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 touring
I have never raised the fuel tank on my 2011 R3T ,had the seat off and bear claw but never had to raise the tank ,is there any secrets or just plain have a look and do it

Pretty straight forward I have heard the rubber gasket can be a pain when reinstalling but I haven't had any problems with mine.

Easy as pie. It helps to use a few small pieces of tape on the underside of the instrument cluster rubber when re-installing to hold it in place. Don't forget about the tank hold up bar under the right side of the tank. You would be surprised at how many don't know that is there or what it is for. ;)

bob

Last edited:
I have never raised the fuel tank on my 2011 R3T ,had the seat off and bear claw but never had to raise the tank ,is there any secrets or just plain have a look and do it

Some good advice here. Drain down the tank, most important...use some electrical tape to secure the instrument cluster seal, removing the plugin connector on the instrument cluster can be a little tricky the first time. Pull the boot down and there is a little release to allow the connector to unplug. I've had mine up several time to run wires mostly.

Yeah,, be very careful, i scratched up my tank from the sharp edges on the instrument cluster.

I glued the molding to the instrument cluster using weather-strip glue. No more problems with scratches. Also it is not necessary to remove instrument panel, you can flip it forward over bars.

Remove bearclaw, remove seat, unbolt the three bolts holding the cluster, lift the cluster carefully to the left, reach in under and unplug the plug underneath, lift cluster off the bike and put somewhere safe, unbolt the two bolts in the front of the tank holding it down, lift the tank, grab the prop from the clamps where it is to the right, on the frame above the engine, wedge the tank up, you're done.

If the rubber gasket under the cluster comes loose, that's no big deal, it's just a bit fiddly to put back on before you replace the cluster, but hardly the end of the world if you're careful.

(Though I'm glad I can ditch mine now that I bought the tank bib from Mustang!)

Back