Rain Gear Comparison

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
Viking Weather Proof verses Nelson Rig Stormrider Raingear

I ride in the rain and the bike suffers for it. But I don’t anymore since I go the Viking Weather Proof gear.

Pretty Pillion bought me a set of Nelson Rigg Stormrider gear just before RAA in Kentucky a few years ago. I wore out to RAA and back home in some good hard rain, and found I got wet. At first, I thought it was just sweat since it was rather warm. However, after several other wet rides over the year, I realized that it was not rainproof.

This winter, I bought the Viking Weather Proof gear, so far have not got wet at all after 12 rides in hard to moderate rain.

On the Nelson Rigg gear, if I spray it with the tent rain proof stuff, it will remain rain proof for several hours. I did write them and asked Nelson Rigg what product I should use to waterproof their rain gear. They responded that I must have a defective set. Maybe so as the seams and stitch work wore out quick. First to let go is the ****** of the pants, then the jacket pockets came undone.

The Nelson Rigg gear is good to ride in the fog for about 30 minutes before wetness seeps in.

The Viking gear on the other hand has withstood massive amount of hard rain and splash back from other traffic.

On a side note, I have worn Frogg Troggs too to great success except for they melt on the exhaust.

Any other reviews out there for actual rain gear?

The site: Viking Cycle

Viking on Amazon

The site: Nelson-Rigg

Nelson-Rigg on Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the frogg tog gear also. But I have ti worn you they do not hold up while sliding on the asphalt. I was able to patch the coat with some pieces from the britches. And buy a set of said britches from bass pro to replace them. I've road in some nasty rain and was amazed with them.

I use high alpine Gortex over trousers (name immaterial as they no longer exist) - I use cheap Bering over Jacket. Zero penetration (ooo - err, I know it sounds naughty right!).

A mate (who used to be on the forum but has long since left the fold) in Maine swore by FrogToggs. He found a way to stop them burning onto the pipes. Fibreglass mat. He sent me some with an aluminium outer face (it was some bulkhead material for planes) which I stuck and riveted to some summer nylon riding pants. Looks grotty, but works.

I too have Frogg Toggs...burnt a hole thru the leg on the jardines in the rain....gonna throw a patch over it of vinyl or something...leather maybe...
Theyre liteweight and easy to pack...cheap too
I kept mine in the space where the air filter was after putting triple k&n's on when i had the 2016 Roadster.

IMG_0744.JPG You would think after spending over $50.00 dollars for just a jacket that it would work. Frogg Toggs special gear for motorcycles. Works great in light rain but moderate to heavy rain your going to get wet. Pants i just buy the cheap ones after burning up a few pair figure better off that way. IMG_0746.JPG IMG_0747 (1).JPG Boots different story Waterproof and have never had wet socks:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Frog Toggs suck, cheap material touch it once on your exhaust and you have a nasty mess to deal with, spend a few bucks and get some decent gear,.
In Florida most of the year it is pointless wearing raingear as you just melt from the inside out with the heat in fact when it does rain it usually feels good for a wee while as your clothes act as a swamp cooler(west coast will know)
Boog word of advice -whatever gear you get take it to Scotland with you you will need it:D

Frog Toggs suck, cheap material touch it once on your exhaust and you have a nasty mess to deal with, spend a few bucks and get some decent gear,.
In Florida most of the year it is pointless wearing raingear as you just melt from the inside out with the heat in fact when it does rain it usually feels good for a wee while as your clothes act as a swamp cooler(west coast will know)
Boog word of advice -whatever gear you get take it to Scotland with you you will need it:D

I was stationed in Florida for 12 years, you are correct about the rain and during that time of my life I never wore rain gear. It was usually good to get soaked just to cool off for awhile. Here in Virginia, they turned the temperature down and its not as fun as summer rain in Florida.

Thanks for the advice on our trip to old country...

I too have Frogg Toggs...burnt a hole thru the leg on the jardines in the rain....gonna throw a patch over it of vinyl or something...leather maybe...
Theyre liteweight and easy to pack...cheap too
I kept mine in the space where the air filter was after putting triple k&n's on when i had the 2016 Roadster.
I had a light piece of leather sewn onto the inner leg to stop my exhaust from burning the Frogg Toggs.

I wear a pair of old GoreTex woodland came pants with taped seams (if you can still find them at a surplus store, they are excellent). I was less impressed with the newer camo GoreTex for the digi patterns, just not the same quality as the last contractor who actually seemed to care about the service members or maybe we had better acquisition managers back in the woodland camo days. Either way, they are great for the times I have to don rain gear while out on a ride and they are fabric lined so they don't melt on the exhaust like FrogToggs. For a coat, I have the rain liner for my Joe Rocket mesh jacket or the Klim Latitude GoreTex jacket when riding on cooler days or knowing the rain is coming. This setup has served me well and offers much more breathability so I can focus on the ride and less on the discomfort.

Back