Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Hood - best thing since sliced bread

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
OK - now it is fair to say it really does NOT rain much here. But right now we are being lashed by Storm Emma and even the ducks are in hiding.

As part of my "Perfect All Weather" layering thinking - I wanted to ask

How many of you have an integrated rain hood in your wet weather gear? - And does it actually work?

Right now - I have NO HOOD - it sucks.

Last edited:
Jeezus toughen up, you have a monster screen system for winter like me and run a fullface from memory with all the ATGATT. I have run mine in rain with an open face for hours and never even lowered the helmet shield.

I wear a gortex coat over my riding jacket has a high collar that I turn up and tuck into the helmet.

Never had rain run down my back and I have riden for hours in the chucking it down by the monsoon bucket type rain.

My experience with rain gear is....you don't go out in the rain, so most likely you get caught in the rain while out. OK, it looks menacing in the sky, so you look for something to duck under. You don't find it until the skies begin their business. By the time you find a spot to put your raingear on, you are already soaked. Or you are anal and put your gear on before you depart, in which case your own sweat will soak you plenty. In all raingear is an expense that makes no sense.

Jeezus toughen up, you have a monster screen system for winter like me and run a fullface from memory with all the ATGATT. I have run mine in rain with an open face for hours and never even lowered the helmet shield.
Ah but that's why I'm still pretty. :p
tbh a fullface all the time, for me is a bit new. Bloody wonderful in hail though.

The last two times I have been caught out have been on emergency runs with time constraints (ferries do not wait).
The way out I got wet. The way back I had an over jacket. 430 clicks each way. I don't want to do it but sometimes there is no choice. Worst of all is your goretex boots filling up from the water entering the neck, flowing past your nuts, down the legs and into the boots. :banghead:

Rocketjohn you ain't livin in Scotland .Most of the time it's gortex every time you leave the house, cause if it's not raining when you leave it soon will be. As I've said before ,if ya don't ride in the rain ya don't ride. I've got a rainhood but never tried using it,never had water down my neck.We also have lots of words to describe the type of rain we're getting, Drizzle,pelting,smir,teeming,torrential,horizontal and bucketing are just a few. Barbagris try goin faster, the rain just blows of the back of yer skidlid.;)

Rain gear in my experience is of limited value.

In the cooler months, I make sure I have gear that is already water proof.

In the warmer months, I've found that I get soaked either way - soon yucky perspiration inside the rain suit, or the nice refreshing rain without the rain suit.

So in my case, if rain might be in the cards, I tend to have on elements of clothing made of quick-dry synthetics similar to Under Armor and the like, and my paper stuff that would be in my pocket is in a zip-close plastic bag, and as our @scot in exile pointed out, not long after one is past the rain, one is pretty much dry.

Only on the shoulder seasons do I go through the trouble to put on rain gear over my mesh.

Ah but that's why I'm still pretty. :p
tbh a fullface all the time, for me is a bit new. Bloody wonderful in hail though.

The last two times I have been caught out have been on emergency runs with time constraints (ferries do not wait).
The way out I got wet. The way back I had an over jacket. 430 clicks each way. I don't want to do it but sometimes there is no choice. Worst of all is your goretex boots filling up from the water entering the neck, flowing past your nuts, down the legs and into the boots. :banghead:
Stop wearing thigh high boots:p as said I will not leave in the rain but at times you do get caught in it and by the time you stop you are usually wringing(wet for you non Scottish speakers) or if you get the gear on especially over here you are sweating like a mongrel dog in heat.

Meanwhile somewhere in Cali.

3C267961-2BCF-4101-BAA2-89B002FC8037.jpeg

Back