Radiator cut

Madlaps

.040 Over
Posted this on .com site, thpught id do the same here - plenty of good blokes on both forums.

Considering thinning that wide ugly radiator... Basically cutting along the lines of the 2 side covers so its flush with the engine, weld a couple of side plates to the cuts - from a quick look, there doesnt seem to be anything majorly vital in the way.

What do you reckon? Will there be Overheating? Seen anything similar before?

Cheers,
Dean

I've seen a Rocket at Nerang that has a custom radiator that is much narrower and looks good. None of the plastic bits remained.... I don't know how it performed but I guess it must work OK?

I'd be more inclined to just pull the plastic off if you want to reduce the visual impact. It's that size for a reason.

The prototype Rocket IIIs had a smaller radiator. But by the time it was to be put in production, the radiator had grown to what we have now.

Speed Triples have got a lot more compact radiator and a lot of jap bikes seen to get away with small radiators. Removing all the plastic shrouding on the Rocket sure would make it look smaller.

Rocket

Do it something like this the radiator kind of blends into the bike becomes more part of the bike. Just a thought, when you pull all the plastic off yes it looks thinner but it still looks like a radiator instead of part of the bike.

Attachments

• rocket 3 in driveway.jpg
    rocket 3 in driveway.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 510
The final version of the radiator is that size for a reason. Just look at what it's cooling! Especially in hot desert areas like where I live. It's not cool here like in the EU. Harley struggled with the V-Rod radiator and cooling problems. Typical Harley trying to make the radiator fit and look cool found out how size and design can make a huge difference in cooling.

Back