Radial vs Bias Ply

R3inCC

.040 Over
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket III
Ok.. So, I purchased a new front tire recently, I bought it at a local parts and accessories store and had it put on by a bike tire shop, both of which I have used and trusted many times before. Here's where the plot thickens, I purchased a bias ply Dunlop D404 not realizing it was bias ply and I should've bought radial, the new front tire felt normal until I had about 200 miles on it, it developed a bad wobble and was very obvious the tire was out of round or something. I took it to the guy that installed it and he took the wheel off and put it on his balancing machine and found that it had a severe "bump" in the tire, he got a guy from the store where I purchased the tire to witness the out of round tire. The store employee said it probably went out of shape because the bias ply tire was mounted on a bike that should have a radial, he said he would do more research on it though. Soooo, the question is...would mounting a bias ply tire on the front wheel of an '05 R3 cause the tire distort or get out of round after 200 miles of riding.

If they sell bias ply motorcycle tires, they should work on motorcycles. Is this tire rated for 750 lbs?

Not in my case ,My tyre guy recommended I fit a Bias belted front tyre Exedra Max) to my R3T as he fits front Bias tyres to a lot of the big Cruisers ,I have over 16000Ks on this tyre and no problems in wet or dry, 761Lb rating really the two times I have had the gross weight of a motorcycle on the front tyre was for a few milliseconds before Rsupping, saying that I would say most of the Guys would recommend fitting a radial front tyre

No. The tire is just bad. Bias on radial wheel is bunk.

All my research leads me to this same conclusion, the store hasn't outright said they aren't going to replace under warranty but said they will order a new tire then we will have to see how we can work out the money part of it, maybe they will have to pro-rate it or something...

May I suggest an up rate by installing an Avon Cobra. Don't let yourself be the cheapest thing on your Rocket ! :rolleyes:

I have thought about upgrading to the Avon but I needed the tire that day so I could get the bike to pass inspection and the D404 was the only tire they had in my size, I had the D404 on it before and it was adequate and I got around 7000 miles out of it

If memory serves me correct the D404 was OEM on my 2005 Harley tho not for long. This thing tracked horribly. It seemed like it would try and follow every crack in the road to the point of being un-nerving. At 300 miles I ditched them bought Avons and never looked back. They are a dream and all that I buy. Maybe they will pro rate your tire. If so, use it towards Avons. You can thank me later!;)

Back