RAA West - Leakey Reconnaissance Rally

Leakey Recon Run Trip Report

Good news - Leakey is still there & nothing has changed since RAA West 2019.

Day 1 - Spanked Twisted Sister #3

As expected, no one else showed up. LOL

Attendees: Tribal Jim
Route: Uvalde Rt83 to Leakey then across 337 West for 15 miles and back to Uvalde.
Road condition: Excellent but with a few uneven spots.
Coppers?: Yes, they are out.
Hazards: Watch for Mulies, hogs, and exotic deer.

3twisted sisters.jpg

Day 2:

I had a delightful 4-way with the triplets today.
I rode them hard and survived the ménage a Quattro!!

335 was in great shape. Lots of roller coasters.
336 was a little more beat up and she tried to buck me off a few times.
Note that there are at least 15 metal cattle crossing grates on 336 - Most are on straightaways but a couple are in turns - be careful.
There were a few rocks in the road on some turns...
337 west to 335 is in great shape as per the Day 1 review. Blast away.
337 east is in excellent shape too with excellent twisties and high speed sweepers.
There were a few rocks in the road on some turns...
```Note that it is closed at Vanderpool at the moment but should be open soon.

3twistedsisters.jpg

Day 3 Trip Report

I stayed at Amber Sky Hotel in Uvalde. It was really decent for being the cheapest place around at $50.

Route:
East on 90 -
North on 187 to Utopia. Not the best road.

East on 470 to Bandera - this is a wonderful ride with twisties & elevation but the road is kind of rough.
This is a must-do town to visit. Tons of bars, BBQ joints, museums, shopping for the broads etc.

North on 173 to Kerrville - this section is in almost perfect condition.
Look for exotic African animals in the tall-fence farms.

I 10 West to Rt41 75MPH posted but that seems like just a suggestion...
41 is in really good condition & decent flat Texas scenery.

South on 336 to Leakey. I aired down a few pounds and moved shocks to '3' so this Sister didn't bite me as bad as she did yesterday.

South on 83 back to Uvalde. Excellent pavement and vistas.

Day 3 leakey loop.jpg

DJI_0800.JPG

Day 3 Trip Report

I stayed at Amber Sky Hotel in Uvalde. It was really decent for being the cheapest place around at $50.

Route:
East on 90 -
North on 187 to Utopia. Not the best road.

East on 470 to Bandera - this is a wonderful ride with twisties & elevation but the road is kind of rough.
This is a must-do town to visit. Tons of bars, BBQ joints, museums, shopping for the broads etc.

North on 173 to Kerrville - this section is in almost perfect condition.
Look for exotic African animals in the tall-fence farms.

I 10 West to Rt41 75MPH posted but that seems like just a suggestion...
41 is in really good condition & decent flat Texas scenery.

South on 336 to Leakey. I aired down a few pounds and moved shocks to '3' so this Sister didn't bite me as bad as she did yesterday.

South on 83 back to Uvalde. Excellent pavement and vistas.

Day 3 leakey loop.jpg

DJI_0800.JPG
Nice after action report, next time a timelier head's up on future ride's and I'll join in!
Managed to take on Sister 336 about a month ago and had her all to myself, must say it was a spirited ride. 😉 Ran out of sunlight so a go at any of the other Sisters will be for another date.
Good strategy setting up camp close in for more time on target and exploring over three days, as opposed to half of my days ride time spent just getting their and back. 🙄

Attachments

• Capture+_2021-01-17-07-54-27.png
    Capture+_2021-01-17-07-54-27.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210116_175631_HDR.jpg
    20210116_175631_HDR.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 10
Nice after action report, next time a timelier head's up on future ride's and I'll join in!
Managed to take on Sister 336 about a month ago and had her all to myself, must say it was a spirited ride. 😉 Ran out of sunlight so a go at any of the other Sisters will be for another date.
Good strategy setting up camp close in for more time on target and exploring over three days, as opposed to half of my days ride time spent just getting their and back. 🙄
Sounds good. It was a last minute change in plans after getting booted out of Big Bend.

Back