RAA - Eclipse 2017 August 21st

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
I would like to suggest a virtual RAA -- not exclusionary by any means -- associated with the solar eclipse.

The idea is: this eclipse is unusual in that it spans the entire continental US. A virtual RAA would have everyone who can, pick *their* best spot on the line of eclipse. Go to the extra effort necessary to have a photo taken and we'll post them in one place with their associated stories (take notes if you have to -- the stories really bring the experience to life for everyone else).

I recommend using this excellent interactive map by Xavier M. Jubier (required attribution).

I have done so, and my lovely spouse and I plan to join @mully95 near Anderson, SC.

Join with others and decide on a spot, or just go by yourself -- take photos, note the details of the trip -- and let us know.

See you at the Eclipse. :)

Funny you should post this Paul. I was thinking the same thing. It was kind of the reason I posted the reminder about it a few days ago. Trying to spark an idea. You definitely got it.

Wait...... what?

Can I get a little bit more instructions please?

Explain it to me like I'm a four-year-old

Like where I am supposed to be? and when? and what I should be looking for?

Or I'll end up screwing it up and missing it :confused::confused:

No worries.

If you click on the link in "map" in the OP, that should open another tab with an interactive Google map, that has had the particulars of the Eclipse loaded.

The first view show Google Earth, and on can see a broad arc of the path of the eclipse shadow that sweeps from NW US to SE.

In the upper right corner of the map, one can click on a pull down menu -- when the map first opens that pull down reads "Satellite" -- click on that and change it to "Map".

Then use your browser to zoom in -- however you do that -- and at the scale of the US, one can see that the sweep of the path begins just south of Salem, OR and goes all the way to just north of Charleston, SC, and there is a green gum drop at the southern tip of Illinois where is the point of longest duration (2' 41") for the eclipse. In practice the duration doesn't vary that much, so Oregon, South Carolina, and anywhere in between is about the same. If you click on the line, there should be a pop-up box that will tell you the location, the time of the eclipse at that location, and the duration.

So the idea here, is you look at the map, take into account where you are likely to be, and pick a place along that line, and go there before the eclipse, in time to be parked and observe.

You may wish to join with other captains, and choose to share your experience in a particular spot. From past experience, you'll see many spots around the country where the eclipse crosses an interstate, a bunch of people will be pulled over, and if you were driving by, and didn't know an eclipse was about to happen, you might wonder what is the commotion and why are all these people pulled over in the middle of nowhere looking up at the sun (hopefully all are using eye-safe dark shades).

EYE SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT. PLEASE USE DARK SHADES IF YOU ARE GOING TO LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN -- or use a pin hole box.

In my case, I saw that the eclipse path runs through Anderson County, SC, very close to the home of @mully95 and he was gracious enough to suggest we get together, and he offered his local knowledge to know a good place for us to go.

So start planning . . . almost everyone should be able to make this one.

Hope that helps.

No worries.

If you click on the link in "map" in the OP, that should open another tab with an interactive Google map, that has had the particulars of the Eclipse loaded.

The first view show Google Earth, and on can see a broad arc of the path of the eclipse shadow that sweeps from NW US to SE.

In the upper right corner of the map, one can click on a pull down menu -- when the map first opens that pull down reads "Satellite" -- click on that and change it to "Map".

Then use your browser to zoom in -- however you do that -- and at the scale of the US, one can see that the sweep of the path begins just south of Salem, OR and goes all the way to just north of Charleston, SC, and there is a green gum drop at the southern tip of Illinois where is the point of longest duration (2' 41") for the eclipse. In practice the duration doesn't vary that much, so Oregon, South Carolina, and anywhere in between is about the same. If you click on the line, there should be a pop-up box that will tell you the location, the time of the eclipse at that location, and the duration.

So the idea here, is you look at the map, take into account where you are likely to be, and pick a place along that line, and go there before the eclipse, in time to be parked and observe.

You may wish to join with other captains, and choose to share your experience in a particular spot. From past experience, you'll see many spots around the country where the eclipse crosses an interstate, a bunch of people will be pulled over, and if you were driving by, and didn't know an eclipse was about to happen, you might wonder what is the commotion and why are all these people pulled over in the middle of nowhere looking up at the sun (hopefully all are using eye-safe dark shades).

EYE SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT. PLEASE USE DARK SHADES IF YOU ARE GOING TO LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN -- or use a pin hole box.

In my case, I saw that the eclipse path runs through Anderson County, SC, very close to the home of @mully95 and he was gracious enough to suggest we get together, and he offered his local knowledge to know a good place for us to go.

So start planning . . . almost everyone should be able to make this one.

Hope that helps.

I got shut down from the very start, when I click on the link it says it doesn't like my iPhone browser, and won't open.
o_O

Back