Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
Since it usually takes awhile to hash these things out, I thought we should start kicking it around now. I've never been to the Keys (or Florida for that matter). I don't much about them really. Is there a place there where a group could stay at a fairly reasonable cost ? Is it better to stay on the mainland and do the keys as a day ride ? Doesn't have to be the keys, any and all ideas welcome. It's pretty up here in Michigan, but the roads are pretty straight. Going up the West coast of Michigan, across the mighty Mac into the upper peninsula is a gorgeous ride. Can do the tunnel of trees on the way. Not very "centrally located' though. Just thinking out loud here.

Florida is flatter and straighter than Michigan, but I have family down there, I'm open to anywhere.

There are NO curves in Florida (except on the beaches ;) ) but I'm open for riding anywhere. What's more important for first step. Narrowing down a time frame or place. They kind of go hand in hand as weather can dictate where would not be a good place to ride at certain times.

Since it usually takes awhile to hash these things out, I thought we should start kicking it around now. I've never been to the Keys (or Florida for that matter). I don't much about them really. Is there a place there where a group could stay at a fairly reasonable cost ? Is it better to stay on the mainland and do the keys as a day ride ? Doesn't have to be the keys, any and all ideas welcome. It's pretty up here in Michigan, but the roads are pretty straight. Going up the West coast of Michigan, across the mighty Mac into the upper peninsula is a gorgeous ride. Can do the tunnel of trees on the way. Not very "centrally located' though. Just thinking out loud here.

My recommendation as a Floridian would be to stay on the mainland and do the Keys as a day ride. Two cities very close by are Florida City and Homestead. Room rates in the Keys are crazy. $150- $300 per night and worse depending on time of year. Those other cities prolly $50-$100 depending on what amenities you want. It's about a 150 mile ride from those cities all the way to Keywest (which you should go to). Whatever way you choose its a breathtaking ride with tropical blue water and beaches from one little island to the next all the way down. Has to be up there in the top 10 of the most beautiful rides in the US. Feel free to PM me with any questions or help you might need.

I don't remember losing anything in Jax, was stationed there in 71 to 72 to learn how to be an aircraft electrician for the Navy. ;)

bob

Back