Super D.

Supercharged
Ride
2005 Rocket 3 Standard Black, Flyscreen
Gentlemen,
I am at the crux of a situation... I am thinking about putting a Turbo on the R3T. Does anyone out there think that it might not be mechanically sound with a stock set up; or have you ran into any issues? I have a tune from Wayne that takes it up at least 5 notches (this is above and beyond what is out there).... but I am looking for the other 5. Please just post thoughts or experience if you have or had experience with a R3/R3T turbo setup.
This is what I am thinking of running: Rocket III
For any questioning this?: This will pretty much sum it up.... WHY ASK WHY!

Thanks,
D.

Not a bad idea but putting it into practice may not have very good results. First off that rear tire, with a turbo, I would imagine would have a very short shelf live. The R3T already has a lot of torque, with the hp detuned like it is I would imagine that tuneboy or no tuneboy the biggest challenge you may face is unleashing a good combination in the Tuneboy that will allow you to increase that horsepower over what is already in the ECU. The engine should hold up fine but I would mainly worry about that rear wheel.

Also, your warranty may suffer...you may want to wait till the warranty runs out before making a drastic change like that....then do the "why ask why?" thing.

Dennis

61 (?) dtg Dubai/Kuwait (?)
62 (?) dtg Home

D., You're nuckin futz!!!

That said, it really comes down to what you want from the R3T. As stated, your rear tire will become a very disposable item. With what you've done so far you've no doubt found that you'd better have that thing upright and pointed straight ahead when you whack the throttle open. I know I can spin up the rear tire pretty easy in the lower gears, and I'm only making 130/150.

So, do you really want to turn the R3T into a monster? Do you plan to keep it for a long time? Not many others will be interested in a Touring model with those mods. Another option might be to trade her in on the new Roadster model and stick the turbo on that thing. From the way its been reported, you'd be way ahead in the power/torque curve on a platform better designed to handle it.

At the end of the day, its your bike and your choice. As many have said, there's no such thing as too much horsepower.

I know Harry... I just have the itch, and it has to be scratched... I do plan on keeping this beast for a long time, and my intention from the very beginning was to make this a Sleeper that would run with the sport bikes. I was talking to my brother, and he insists that I am certifiable, and threatened to have me committed for my own good.
I am going to put a call in tomorrow and see if it will even work on the R3T. If I can't keep it semi-hidden, I don't know if I will do it.
BTW, how do you like that Tune?
D.

Gentlemen,... Please just post thoughts or experience if you have or had experience with a R3/R3T turbo setup.
This is what I am thinking of running: Rocket III For any questioning this?: This will pretty much sum it up.... WHY ASK WHY! Thanks, D.

D., You're nuckin futz!!!...
GPMAZ, he asked for the gentlemen with turbo experience, only, to respond. But Im with you:D 195-210 torqe on a stock RT3 rear:eek: Ive yet to see a RT3 doing a wheelie down the interstate. Post some pics.

But I do know the silencer upgrade kit (cat box replacer) is 10X less expensive.

Last edited:
BTW, how do you like that Tune?
D.

I'm real happy with the way the bike runs. Great roll on power down low and with the speed limiter bumped up it doesn't die up top like the stock tune. Mileage runs around 35 with moderate riding. I've seen 40+ when I consciously try to take it real easy.

You know, that hollow box connecting the stock pipes should make a great spot for the turbo. A little fabricating to connect the exhaust should be all you'd need. I think I'd try to eliminate the small diameter pipes that connect the mufflers, but that would involve some surgery to the mufflers themselves as well.

I just went out and took a look. Those connector pipes aren't as small as I thought, its just the size of the muffler housing that makes them look small. There's plenty of room where that connector box is and to the left of it, should make for a clean installation.

I have a 2006 Classic with a turbo. I love it but I am a certified speed freak!:eek: The bike is very "streetable" with the turbo. I'm used to Japanese fours and am pretty familiar with how they "feel". What amazes me about the turbo R3 is that the thing just never stops pulling!! I mean never! With the Jap fours I was used to pretty high RPM's and have had to realign my inner computer to shift at 6000-6500 RPM. The BEAST JUST KEEPS ON PULLING. All the way through 5th, or whenever your eyes get too big, or you're about to run out of road.
This is my first R3 so I have no previous comparisons. I love the way the bike handles too. I can corner much better than I expected and FAR BETTER than any of my friends on other "cruisers".
Usually bikes with turbos have a concern about "turbo lag". That's the time it takes for the turbo to "spool up" to begin adding power after beginning to open the throttle quickly. None evidenced here or too minimal to speak of. The R3s are already torque monsters and you really have to be looking for it to feel any turbo lag.
Turbo Connection is the folks who built the kit for my bike but it was all done before I bought the bike. I bought her about a month ago and she had just under 3600 miles when I got her. The Turbo Connection folks are very friendly and you can talk to a tech or the owner just about any time.
The exhaust does drone on me. It's not overly loud and the turbo itself acts as a partial baffle but it does drone on you. I'm looking into baffles that I will modify to get her quieted down. Not too much though. Friends who have ridden with me say I sound like Diesel Jake-Brake complete with turbo whine. I love it.
The others guys thoughts about warranty are correct. My bike had the kit installed by the dealer so they warranted what they chose. That shop is in New Hampshire and I live in Arkansas. I no longer have a factory warranty, I'm sure. The other thought about resale is also true. You will greatly narrow the field of potential buyers with a turbo on the bike. I don't plan on selling mine for quite a while so, for me, no big deal.

christ.. quit being a whoosie and get it done.. lots of bikes have narrower tires and put out more power.
can't wait to test ride it :D

christ.. quit being a whoosie and get it done.. lots of bikes have narrower tires and put out more power.
can't wait to test ride it :D

Sam,
I am going to talk to the guys tomorrow and see if I can't get it tucked up under there and keep it hidden and out of the way. But when I get it figured out, you & Doc are certainly welcome for a little test ride.
D.:cool:

Back