One Norse

From the hills of Minnesota
Ride
2015 R3T
I'm going to be installing a hitch when it gets here (Bushtec says next week some time). I have the Kuryakyn 7671 trailer light relay set and a PDM60 to protect the bike.

My question is this: How have other people routed the wiring harness to the back of the bike: tucked under the fender with the tail light wires or around the outside tied to the bag rails? I can see advantages to each, so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

I ran my wiring along the right side. All I used was a 4 wire trailer harness. Power comes from the right side panel for the rear lights. I made my connections, followed the seat rail to the sissy bar frame, then straight down to the side bag frame. Quick,easy and not seen externally. A hand full of zip ties to finish up.

Under the fender here, but you have to be careful, rubbed the first time, but fine for 3-4 years now

Can someone tell me how that hitch mounts? I have the Corbin tourpack and am not sure if it gets in the way with the mounting. Bushtec shows no pictures and doesn't have the install instructions on the website.

Can someone tell me how that hitch mounts? I have the Corbin tourpack and am not sure if it gets in the way with the mounting. Bushtec shows no pictures and doesn't have the install instructions on the website.
The hitch itself is on a bar that replaces the one between the back of the saddle bags. This is reinforced by heavy 'L'-shaped plates that connect to the bottom of the saddle bag mounts.
Bushtec Hitch 1 1000.jpg

You can also see my wire routing choice along the backrest rail and down the bag mount. In the second picture, you can see the rear view. I elected to wire the LED license bracket to a trailer plug so that when I'm not using the trailer, I connect the harness to the LED license plate so it stays out of the way, capped off, and sealed. I made a couple of small 'L' brackets which are captured by the longer bolt at the rear by the hitch brace. On the right, I zip tied the cable as you can see above, on the left I attached the License Plate coupler.
Bushtec Hitch 2 1000.jpg

And yes, the bike is dirty. I live on a gravel road. The mudflap is to protect the trailer from gravel. it is cut down from a generic pickup mudflap.

Wow that makes a lot more sense now. I actually ordered one and it came in this weekend I opened the box and had even less of an idea of what was going on. The photo copied black and white instructions didn't help either. Thank you so much for taking the time.

Glad to help.

FWIW, I also replaced the hardware they shipped with stainless metric versions. M8 for the L-bracket-to-crossbar and coupler-to-crossbar attachments, M6 for the L-bracket-to-bag mount. It bugs me a little when companies ship SAE hardware to be mounted on a metric vehicle. :mad: :eek:

The hitch itself is on a bar that replaces the one between the back of the saddle bags. This is reinforced by heavy 'L'-shaped plates that connect to the bottom of the saddle bag mounts.
Bushtec Hitch 1 1000.jpg

You can also see my wire routing choice along the backrest rail and down the bag mount. In the second picture, you can see the rear view. I elected to wire the LED license bracket to a trailer plug so that when I'm not using the trailer, I connect the harness to the LED license plate so it stays out of the way, capped off, and sealed. I made a couple of small 'L' brackets which are captured by the longer bolt at the rear by the hitch brace. On the right, I zip tied the cable as you can see above, on the left I attached the License Plate coupler.
Bushtec Hitch 2 1000.jpg

And yes, the bike is dirty. I live on a gravel road. The mudflap is to protect the trailer from gravel. it is cut down from a generic pickup mudflap.
This is a really old thread, but I am interested in see more pics pf this hitch. HitchDoc tells me they no longer have any hitch for the R3Touring and I need to make one I think, Thanks all......

I'm going to be installing a hitch when it gets here (Bushtec says next week some time). I have the Kuryakyn 7671 trailer light relay set and a PDM60 to protect the bike.

My question is this: How have other people routed the wiring harness to the back of the bike: tucked under the fender with the tail light wires or around the outside tied to the bag rails? I can see advantages to each, so I thought I'd ask for opinions.
20230416_140024.jpg
Ok, I need help. Somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong because my trailer tested out fine but I can't get anything from the bike. 09 R3T
20230315_143243.jpg

Did you ever get help for this... I just installed a hitch and am trying to figure out how to setup the harness wiring to the trailer.

Back