GPMAZ

Staff member
For those with an R3T, how much free play do you have in your top yoke? If you grab the bar ends and lift, how much movement do you get?

I've read that the top yoke can fail, resulting in excess play. I have about 1/2 inch movement measured at the bar ends. Also, for those that can check, do you have risers mounted. I would think that would effect the amount of measured movement.

Thanks.

Play in the top yoke? :eek: Man there shouldn't be any! Definitely no up and down movement. If you've got that much movement I would check that everything is torqued up right!

I just swapped out a set of T'Bird bars I was trying, so I know everything is torqued properly.

I read a couple of posts on other boards about the top yoke failing on the R3T. Since its rubber mounted there's evidently a wear issue. As I recall both failures were at around 20K, and since I'm at around 22K now I'm guessing I have a problem. I suppose I could remove the risers to see how much they effect the movement. Looks like a few hundred bucks from Bike Bandit.

i have over 45000 miles on my 08 r3t with revico risers and have no problem

I just swapped out a set of T'Bird bars I was trying, so I know everything is torqued properly.

I read a couple of posts on other boards about the top yoke failing on the R3T. Since its rubber mounted there's evidently a wear issue. As I recall both failures were at around 20K, and since I'm at around 22K now I'm guessing I have a problem. I suppose I could remove the risers to see how much they effect the movement. Looks like a few hundred bucks from Bike Bandit.

Harry. The handle bar mounts are rubber cushioned, but the front steering head bearings should be Timken bearings. Where is the movement coming from? The steering head or the handle bar mounts?

The movement is coming from the base of the risers. The top yoke and below are solid. Its as if the mounting bolts holding the bottom risers are loose, but of course they are torqued down tight. With very little effort on the bar ends the bars will lift about 1/2" measured at the bar end. No play side to side nor when pushing down on the bar ends.

I was told that the rubber mounts will reduce road fatigue and will allow some play in the handlebars. It seems that the risers exagerate that play. I'm not sure what the allowable tolerance should be.

Well, very interesting. I've known that there was some play for a long time, just never bothered to actually measure it. Once I did, it seemed like a lot. Maybe its normal, or we all have worn top yokes.

Thanks guys.

Aaaah, I see, thought when you said 'free play in your top yoke' you meant play in the yoke and not the risers.

Just checked my bars and after 11k miles there is no movement at all.

Back