R3T tank bib by Triumph

Eric R.

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
Hi guys, I bought the Triumph tank bib for my 15 R3T yesterday from my dealer. It's a very nice looking piece, and well made. Do any of you guys have one of these?
I haven't installed it yet, but I gave it a look over, and I'm curious as to how it is mounted. It seemed odd that one end has two adhesive patches, or maybe it was Velcro, and the other end has what looks like shoelaces.
I had one on my Valkyrie made by Mustang, and it was held down by the tank bolts, which made it very secure.
I hope I bought the good one. I wanted the Triumph original.
Thanks, Eric

mines got the shoe lacing both ends try to put something under it so it buff out the finish if you ever take it off you can see the difference big time. wish i never put mine on thought it would be handy kinda useless i think now

Well I guess this is not a very popular subject. I'm gonna put it on and see how I like it. Ho hum.

I bought the Mustang one with a pocket on it. I'm assuming the Triumph one is held down by the instrument cluster bolts, as is the mustang, so it's plenty secure with three bolts and the panel clamping it down.

The strings in the rear to lace it down are probably intended to go around the rear tank hinge/mount, to hold the rear portion taut. On the Mustang, there's a thick elastic band there that does that same job.

The Triumph one should be no harder to install. If it has strings in the front, also, I'm sure it will become pretty apparent where Triumph thinks you should tie those.

I bought the Mustang one with a pocket on it. I'm assuming the Triumph one is held down by the instrument cluster bolts, as is the mustang, so it's plenty secure with three bolts and the panel clamping it down.

The strings in the rear to lace it down are probably intended to go around the rear tank hinge/mount, to hold the rear portion taut. On the Mustang, there's a thick elastic band there that does that same job.

The Triumph one should be no harder to install. If it has strings in the front, also, I'm sure it will become pretty apparent where Triumph thinks you should tie those.

Thanks, Croft
I may go to a craft store and buy a piece of black felt and some fabric adhesive to apply to the tank side first. Maybe it'll help prevent scuffing.

Eric,
have you installed yours? i have one as well but the Velcro had me thinking it wouldn't hold.

mines got the shoe lacing both ends try to put something under it so it buff out the finish if you ever take it off you can see the difference big time. wish i never put mine on thought it would be handy kinda useless i think now

I agree...It's alway a problem if you decide to take it off. Fine grit and dirt always get under them and rubs the finish. The same thing if the raw leather is touching anywhere. If they get wet, they lay wet on the finish. This is not meant to discourage the use of one, but rather just be aware of what will happen.

I purchased one with my bike new. As I recall, it came in two flavors: one with faux rivets and one without. I dislike the faux rivet look, and got the one without.

I've had it off a couple of times in two years, and so far, don't see adverse effects on the tank paint.

The pocket is handy for the toll transponder, and I also put ID in there to save having to fish through a bunch of pockets with gloves should the need arise.

Back