R3T running rough when not under load

shunternz

.020 Over
I have an 08 R3T. When it's under load all seems fine but when the load is off (e.g. cruising at low speed with more or less not load such as through a slow zone or rounding a bend) it runs rough - sort of surges or feels like its missing. I end up dragging the rear brake to create load. It's no fund to ride. Dealer changed the TPS but did not fix. I am not confident they know what they are doing. Any ideas?

I have an 08 R3T. When it's under load all seems fine but when the load is off (e.g. cruising at low speed with more or less not load such as through a slow zone or rounding a bend) it runs rough - sort of surges or feels like its missing. I end up dragging the rear brake to create load. It's no fund to ride. Dealer changed the TPS but did not fix. I am not confident they know what they are doing. Any ideas?

When it was running smooth was any work done onit which might have changed anything like a sevice or maybe lack of a service ?

Also you havn't said if it has any mods mate?

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHH! SAME HEAR BUT i DON'T HAVE TIME TO ELABORATE. CHECK MY PREVIOUS POSTS. I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING. MORE LATER.

Running Rough

My 2009 R3T sometimes runs rough. I was looking through the tech. manual on balancing the throttle bodies and discovered the procedure is different from the rest. Has anyone tackled the job on the R3T?
Marty

Running Rough

By the way, it appears the R3T has only one MAP sensor and all three T.B.'s plug into it. Soo a tune boy or tune ECU won't work to balance them. Maybe we need to replumb the MAP sensor to eliminate pulses.
Marty

By the way, it appears the R3T has only one MAP sensor and all three T.B.'s plug into it. Soo a tune boy or tune ECU won't work to balance them. Maybe we need to replumb the MAP sensor to eliminate pulses.
Marty

Marty yes it will blance the throttle bodies as it is the same set up as the standard Rockets. it uses the crank sensor plus the vacuum reading to know which thottle body is drawing the vacuum.

I just answered the same question on the rat forum is this the case of me chasing a thread/problem

You need one of the two ecu software tools if nothing else to research any engine problems that do not throw an engine light code.
In addition, while you are performing your checks look at the low-tension lead going to the three coils. They get loose and corroded and cause the engine to run ruff at times this is due to a loss of connection followed by a momentary loss of spark at the spark plugs. Make it do weird stuff like surging and mss firing. Clean the post on the coils and the wire plugs and crimp them more with a pair of needle nose pliers lubricate with dielectric grease and re-install.
the coil wires I am referring to one green one brown the number 1 coil is the hardest to get at but worth checking and cleaning all three

also there are three hoses comonf from the throttle bodies plus plug caps on all of them one on each and two on the rear throttle body they get weathered and leak this causes a vacuum leak and sparratic running of the engine as well.
Number 1 TB

Number 2 TB

Number 3 TB

Running Rough

Thanks Warp, you are helpful as always, I'll be looking into the info. you've given. It sure is great to have the QUALITY help on this website!!!!!!!!!!:)
Marty

When it was running smooth was any work done onit which might have changed anything like a sevice or maybe lack of a service ?

Also you havn't said if it has any mods mate?

The dealer changed the Throttle Position Sensor but it did not fix the problem. I checked for any pinched or blocked hoses to the Mass Airflow Sensor, cleaned, crimped and grease (dielectric) and reseated the coil wires. The problem didn't go away. It turned out to be the GI Pro unit. When I installed the unit (GIPro w/ATRE) I set it to the recommended setting of "3". The problem disappeared as soon as I ran it on the setting of "-" (off). So the unit works fine as a gear indicator but it would seem I can't use it for that power boost.

Unless...

I have removed the secondaries. I understood I could do this, install a Gipro and leave it at that. Maybe not.

Thanks

Back