R3T Owners....need some help/advice.

Molinoman

Living Legend
Ride
2017 Polaris Slingshot
For all you R3T owners out there I would like to ask a few questions.

As you know when I get done with my work overseas I am probably (90% sure) going to be going in for a new R3T.

I would like to ask is there any accessory that you bought that you would probably not recommend getting that if you had to do it again you would take a pass on?

Is there any accessory that you felt was well worth it and would recommend?

How are those replacement tires holding up? And, in that size, are there other options available from other manufacturers that you might recommend?

And last, but not least, did any of you buy the Triumph GPS hook up accessory/cable? In the catalog "no photo was available" so I was curious if anyone had a picture of it and could post it or just let me know what GPS units can be used with it...not sure about what kind of plug it would have on the end of it.

Oh, almost forgot...how is that horn?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

13 - 15 dtg Kandahar
17 dtg Dubai
18 dtg Home

Last edited:
RT accessories

I've bought an awful lot of accessories for my 2009 R3T. There are only a few items I haven't bought! (Yet.)

I bought--and returned--the GPS cable. Because most GPS units already have a hook-up (or are Bluetooth compaitible) it's unnecessary. I added the Powerlet powerport and run my GPS thru that.

Risers were a MUST HAVE item for me. I'm about 6' but still was leaning forward to ride. The risers allowed me to sit back a bit.

My wife needed a more comfortable seat so i bought the Comfort Pillion.

The stock windshield was too low (for me) so i bought an after-market (Clearview) windscreen. At 25', it's pretty much like riding in a car.

I bought a bunch of other stuff, but it's mainly for looks, not performance.

The crash bars look good and support the highway pegs. Very comfortable.

The tires are holding up very well. I may go to the Darkside when the rear wears down or hits 10K.

Lastly, look around for deals on Triumph and after-market parts and accessories, as prices vary considerably. Motorcycle Accessory Discount Superstore - dirt bike sport bike street bike off road atv scooter watercraft accessories helmet boots apparel riding gear parts tires exhaust pipe Honda Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki Harley-Davidson BMW online store cheap part is a fantastic place to start.

But then again, a stock Rocket 3 is fine as is...

as you know i have a o8 r3t
the replacement tires are holding up good got right at 10,000 on the rear believe i can make it to bout 12,000 before changing
got the stock windshield which is good in spring and summer
and also bought the triumph roadster screen which is good in the colder days don't like it in the summer time
also got the long haul seat with the backrest which is comfortable on long trips
also got the heated grips which i assume will work good haven't really tried them yet as for the gloves i wear is good so far for temps at 35 degrees
and the luggage rack and sissy bar
and as you have read i added a trunk to stb bike which she is very satisfied with
also have the fog lights and they work great at nite

Last edited:
Bought the Solo seat, am currently waiting for a Corbin that should arrive next week. The Solo seat (which is the same as the Long Haul Touring seat just a single seat) is better than stock but still too soft for me. Seats are a very individual thing, I like Corbins.

The Roadster screen was about 1 1/2 inches too tall for me, so a little Dremel work fixed that.

Accessory lights are good for being seen, don't ride a lot at night so I can't speak to their effectiveness there.

I've only got a couple of thousand miles on the replacement tires as I put a set of Avons on before they became available. It sounds like they wear well, but I'll probably go back to Avon once they're worn out. I got 10K from the Avon Cobras and I feel they handle better than the Metzlers. Probably a bit softer compound.

Heated grips work well so far but being in the Phoenix area they only get used on trips out of town.

Tuneboy, D&D's and triple K&Ns by far the best money spent. If you're going to have a 2300cc motor, it should behave like a 2300cc motor.

Not a big fan of chrome shiny bits, so no money spent on anything that I don't consider purely functional.

I haven't gotten much for mine. I did get the front crash bar to protect the engine and of course put some highway pegs on. I actually got a set of old school Triumph pegs off e-bay. Just the old style clamp ons with TRI on the peg. I got the sissybar for the wife. I put a cigerette lighter where the power outlet wires are and it works for everything as well as lighting cigs while going down the road. I got the small tank pouch and it has come in kind of handy, not a must have but nice to hold the smokes. The replacement tires have worked great, I have about 6K on them and no worries. I went through the others at about 4500. You can't beat this bike for about anything you want to do. I know guys that buy just about every type of cruise out there and they all have their good points. They all need to be set up for the individual so everyone buys stuff. What they don't have is the knowledge that they are riding the biggest, baddest MF out there along with good handling, brakes, and comfort. If I was buying a new bike today, I would buy another R3T. Take one for a ride when you get home, that's what sold me.

Molinoman,

I previously owned a standard R3. Great bike, lots of power. Unfortunately, it was killed by a Honda Accord. Good news is, I was not hurt.

I ended up buying a left over 2008 R3T. Here is what I have found out about the R3T (just my opinion of course).

The stock seat is OK but is too soft. The Daylong seat is also too soft. I think that is where triumph may have gained their inch when they say the R3T is 1 inch lower then the R3. Less foam and too soft foam in the seat.

Levers are non adjustable and cheaper made then levers on the R3. Not really a big deal.

Gas tank is a pain to fill up without splashing gas. The filler neck/tube is too small. Too bad they didn't use the same filler set up on the standard R3.

Gas gauge is strange..... Have not quite got that figured out yet.

You will not have the power of the standard R3.. Do not fret, you will still smoke an Harley.

The bike does turn in quicker with the smaller rear wheel however, I do not think it handles as well as the standard R3. You clearly feel the extra weight, the bike has a longer wheelbase which you can feel when turning and the suspension is not good for higth speed corner carving. That being said, it is not a ****** rocket and is a GREAT cruiser! Everything works great for what it is designed to do.

Quick Release Sissy Bar, Back Rest Pad, and Luggage Rack is very cool. I highly recommend it.

Roadster screen is a bit tall (I am 6' 1"). I need to find someone who can do a professional cut.

Based upon the above, it may sound like I do not care for the bike, I really like it a lot. I am glad I bought it and have no regrets! If you are looking for a great touring bike, you will not go wrong with the R3T. :)

Inspector Gadget is the man with the peripherals of supplemental electronics and as for major accessories, I say your present ride was might finely equipped.

Personally I wouldnt take back the Tuneboy, a provider of the worst customer relations, nor the cat-box eliminator upgrades. I use my Throttlemeister the least.

I had given thought to moving back over into the light should another Captain report 14k or more on a Avon rear. But after upgrading my exhaust, I find Im lghting the fire on darkside far more often. One of those Avon Im afraid would give me no betterr perforamce than a tired and tried Metzler Try'anutha'thong 880.

Molinoman,

I previously owned a standard R3. Great bike, lots of power. Unfortunately, it was killed by a Honda Accord. Good news is, I was not hurt.

I ended up buying a left over 2008 R3T. Here is what I have found out about the R3T (just my opinion of course).

The stock seat is OK but is too soft. The Daylong seat is also too soft. I think that is where triumph may have gained their inch when they say the R3T is 1 inch lower then the R3. Less foam and too soft foam in the seat.

Levers are non adjustable and cheaper made then levers on the R3. Not really a big deal.

Gas tank is a pain to fill up without splashing gas. The filler neck/tube is too small. Too bad they didn't use the same filler set up on the standard R3.

Gas gauge is strange..... Have not quite got that figured out yet.

You will not have the power of the standard R3.. Do not fret, you will still smoke an Harley.

The bike does turn in quicker with the smaller rear wheel however, I do not think it handles as well as the standard R3. You clearly feel the extra weight, the bike has a longer wheelbase which you can feel when turning and the suspension is not good for higth speed corner carving. That being said, it is not a ****** rocket and is a GREAT cruiser! Everything works great for what it is designed to do.

Quick Release Sissy Bar, Back Rest Pad, and Luggage Rack is very cool. I highly recommend it.

Roadster screen is a bit tall (I am 6' 1"). I need to find someone who can do a professional cut.

Based upon the above, it may sound like I do not care for the bike, I really like it a lot. I am glad I bought it and have no regrets! If you are looking for a great touring bike, you will not go wrong with the R3T. :)

First time I have seen a comparison by someone that has owned both the R3 and the R3T. I did test ride an R3 but liked the bags and windscreen on the R3T. I had never been real crazy about the look of the R3 either. I don't have a problem with the filler neck. Just put the spout in a little further. I only get it spitting back if I don't but the nozzle in far enough. You are right about the seat being to soft, although I was thinking it was due to the time I have spent in it. I just started getting to the point where I think it might need some work. It should have lasted longer than 15K though. I think the biggest problem with the cornering is that the running boards put your feet so far forward and there is not as good a purchase. I have noticed that I will lean a pegged bike a lot further than one with boards. It was interesting to hear your comparison. Thanks.

Thanks for the input guys. One other thing I have heard that the heated grips were not holding up well on the R3T...I take it they are different from the ones that go on the Standard/Classic models (which I currently have). I see that GPMAZ and Rainman had these installed, let me know how they hold up once you start using them alot. I may go to the Gerbing battery heated gloves if they seem to be as "cheaply" made as I have heard.

Thanks DanDiego for the info on the GPS cable. I will probably just hook up my Zumo 550 like I have it already on my 07 Classic. Also I noticed you also went for the Clearview screen, did you get the vent? Also I take it you still have to use the "fixin's" off of the stock windshield is that true?

No one has mentioned the "infamous" Triumph horn yet, I rode the demo at D&D Cycles a couple of times when I worked there but I don't remember how it sounded.

Anyway, thanks for the excellent input, I may have to look into the risers.

I noticed that PunkinDave is selling the TORS, does that mean that you have to load a new tune to have that set up right?

And has anyone added the GI-Pro to the R3T?

Thanks again,

Dennis

11-13 dtg Kandahar
15 dtg Dubai
16 dtg Home

The Stebel horn was one of my first mods. Its an easy swap and a huge improvement. I actually use the GPS cable to power my radar detector. My GPS has a cable that fits the accessory plug so I just swapped the two. Works just fine.

I've probably used the heated grips a dozen or so times. They seem to work fairly well, probably not as hot as the ones on my BMW, but I can feel the heat, and have had to turn them down to the mid setting. One thing I don't like is the giant control unit. I got them thrown in when I bought the bike, otherwise I would probably opt for heated glove liners if I planned a lot of riding in sub 40 degree temperatures.

Back