R3T Ignition Key Blank Number

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I happen to go to a key store located near me in Angola, IN. They have quite a selection of keys blanks, so I ask them if they could cut me a key for my Rocket. After some looking and doing some cross reference work they were able to determine what blank to use and cut me a key. It was a little fussy, but after going over the cuts several times it matches and works just fine in both the ignition and panniers. Always a wealth of useful information on the forum so I thought I would pass/share the key number and markings in case anyone is interested in getting a key cut.

It was an ILCO key blank with the markings...X270 TCM1

I hope someone finds this useful.

I think mine was a Volvo V7, but it has been many years since I got it, or even used a key.

I think mine was a Volvo V7, but it has been many years since I got it, or even used a key.

WHEN I GOT MINE I TOLD THE LOCK GUY A VOLVO 7 AND IT DID NOT MEAN ANY THINg TO HIm. sorry caps

WHEN I GOT MINE I TOLD THE LOCK GUY A VOLVO 7 AND IT DID NOT MEAN ANY THINg TO HIm. sorry caps

Probably a kid who did not know Volvo models well, and probably had never had a chance to cut that one before. The lock smithing place in my town is so savvy, you can show them the most obscure thing and they've got a blank for it. And they don't have to study it...one look and they go....oh ok..that's a whosiwhatsis x302-6.....do you want that in brass or chrome?

I know this is an old thread but someone else may be looking for this information. I'm another old man on a bike with a 2015 R3T like the original poster. And, being old, I somehow lost one of my keys and I know it's here because I hadn't left my house when I realized it was missing. Anyway, I want another spare key and I found this thread. I checked out the ILCO X270 TCM1 key that worked for Bedifferent but, if the pictures are correct, that key wouldn't work form my 2015 R3T. Not only is the head shape complete different but the end profile of the key is also completely different. I'd be careful about ordering that key if you need one. However, at the same site where I checked out the above key, they do have one that looks like it would work. The head is the same shape and the end profile looks the same as my R3T key. It's listed as a Triumph TMC3 blank. Here's a link:

Truimph TMC3 Key Blank [TMC-3] - $5.50 : Motorcycle Key Blanks, Honda, Ducati, Kawasaki Motorcycle Key Blanks, Scooter, ATV Keys Yamaha, Keys4UrRide.com

Assuming the Triumph TMC3 key is correct, the link also lists equivalent blanks as:

ILCO KAW33

EZ X278

JET TMC3

They (at the link) can cut the key for you if you have the cut code. I ordered one so I'll post back when I receive it in a week or so and let the thread know if it works.

I agree, the side cut or end profile is different and the head most certainly is not the same shape, but I stand by my original post. Even though the profile Bedifferent (I couldn't resist saying that) the key will work as a key for your 2015 R3T as I had this key cut when I got my new replacement bike and it works just fine. It also worked fine on my 2013 R3T as I had keys cut for that bike as well. If you are looking to have a key cut for your R3T and they have this on the shelf, I wouldn't hesitate to have them make you a key with the blank I mentioned to have around as a spare.

I'm sure you may very well find the key blank you mentioned will be a more perfect match. Ordering a special blank was not on my agenda at the time for getting a key made on the spot. Next time I'm at the key shop, I will see if I can find a better match with some of the numbers you have posted. If you find the key you have ordered to be a perfect match, I may even buy a couple myself and have them cut.

Again...The intent of my post was not to say it was an absolute match, but rather a key blank you might find available that would do the job should you need a key made. Keep us posted on your findings as the information would be good to know and follow up on.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 2
Or just spring for the keyless system -- I still hang on to the key just so I can lock the handlebars, or the never needed roadside flashers.

Or just spring for the keyless system -- I still hang on to the key just so I can lock the handlebars, or the never needed roadside flashers.

You have all the cool toys Paul. I did PM @DEcosse about it, a very nice piece of work and well worth the money! He has put a lot of thought into creating a nice product. I have yet to decide, as there are a couple of other things I have been thinking about doing as well. Still on my bucket list and under consideration.

]Or just spring for the keyless system -- I still hang on to the key just so I can lock the handlebars, or the never needed roadside flashers.[/QUOTE]

No, not for me, thank you. :) I like to keep some things simple. I'm open-minded though, so I may at least check keyless ignition out.

Let me guess: You're a moderator (?). I say that because it seems that you respond to all posts. I appreciate your input.

BTW, tomorrow I change my tires. I ended up going with Avon Cobras.

Have a great day!

Back