R3T Healight Globe replacement

valk97goose

.040 Over
I am looking at replacing the headlight globe on my R3T with a Super White XENON.

The standard globe is a 12v 60/55 watt H4 and is great for day riding. I have a spare Super White 12v 100/90 watt H4 that I use in my Honda valkyrie.

Anyone know if there could be a problem using this higher wattage globe? The fuse is 15 amp.

Thanks...

The other concern would be the ability of the wiring to handle the extra load.

Your critical path will be the headlight lens... My dealer has replaced a few for people that used "hot" bulbs...

Mike...

How hot is hot? My glass on the outside gets too hot to touch when I'm done with a ride. I changed out the stock bulbs for Sylvania with the same wattage but it's little bigger and brighter than the stock OEM bulb. I didn't check to see if the stock bulb gots hot, can someone let me know?

Wattage is the key... If you haven't warped or cracked your lens by now in the FLA heat, you are probably ok.... I have the blue xenon from newr3.com... Like them, no problems...

Mike..

CaptainCaeruleus said:
Wattage is the key... If you haven't warped or cracked your lens by now in the FLA heat, you are probably ok.... I have the blue xenon from newr3.com... Like them, no problems...

Mike..
Mike I just bought those blue ones from NewR3, the Sylvania's are even brighter (whiter light) and the same wattage. I'll take one of the Sylvanias out, put the stock one back in go for a 30 min ride and check the temps of both with my infrared. if the temps are the same (which will tell us they are safe) these bulbs are definitely better than the blue ones from NewR3. I'll let you know tomorrow. Oh BTW, I just put them in yesterday and went for a 150 mile ride today and the lenses didn't crack yet.

Here are the 2 bulbs side by side. Same wattage but the Sylvania is much bigger and brighter.

I checked temperature of both after 15 minutes of riding
Sylvania 154 degrees OEM stock 140 degrees. I will check it again on a longer ride ASAP

Back