Jag

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3T
Need a bit of guidance!

So my on again off again starting issue has come to a head.

Back story: for the last 18 months I've had sporadic starting issues when bike is hot, whether from running or sitting in the hot sun. I would get the dreaded click when I hit the start button. When ever this would happen I would turn the ignition off then on and it would start. I have doubled up on the negative cable from the battery to the starter. I have cleaned all starter and battery connection multiple times, load tested battery, and battery is always on a tender when not in use.

So today I started her up with no issues except fuel gauge not working, reading empty, position light is on all the time with headlight in run and running state., also it seems the high beam is on with the switch in the low beam position and visa versus. Check engine light is not on and all warning lights do come on and go off after starting. Fuel pump always primes (except once the other day)

I have raised the tank, and inspected the modular connector that goes to the ignition switch , all the pins look good, so I removed the ignition switch for inspection and have not found anything that looks to bad other then the soldered connections on the back of the ignition switch look like cold solder joints.

In my opinion the ignition switch has never operated correctly, meaning it would not turn counter clockwise past off for lock or position light, but now it does but I do not need to push down and turn and it will not turn if I do push down.

Any and all advice appreciate!!

... I would get the dreaded click when I hit the start button ...

If the ignition circuits come on (fuel pump primes etc) it would not appear to be a key-switch issue.
The likely culprits would be either
a) Clutch switch
b) Starter/Headlight Relay
c) The starter solenoid itself

.... position light is on all the time with headlight in run and running state.

I'm not sure whether I am misinterpreting you here, but that would be normal

, also it seems the high beam is on with the switch in the low beam position and visa versus.

That one would be a bit bizarre - are you going by how you think the lamp looks, or the actual high beam indicator status?

.... In my opinion the ignition switch has never operated correctly, meaning it would not turn counter clockwise past off for lock or position light, but now it does but I do not need to push down and turn and it will not turn if I do push down.

That sounds like a mechanical issue with actuator part or the switch assembly - however as long as your headlights come on and the ignition circuits come on, then again, if your starter is only thing that does not really actuate, it would not appear to be a key-switch (electrical) issue.

If the ignition circuits come on (fuel pump primes etc) it would not appear to be a key-switch issue.
The likely culprits would be either
a) Clutch switch
b) Starter/Headlight Relay
c) The starter solenoid itself

Yes all that happens.
I will take a look at a,b,c

I'm not sure whether I am misinterpreting you here, but that would be normal

The little light bulb in the headlight bucket under the headlight is on all the time.

That one would be a bit bizarre - are you going by how you think the lamp looks, or the actual high beam indicator status?

Status indicator matches switch position. Low beam just seams a lot brighter then high.

That sounds like a mechanical issue with actuator part or the switch assembly - however as long as your headlights come on and the ignition circuits come on, then again, if your starter is only thing that does not really actuate, it would not appear to be a key-switch (electrical) issue.

The other weird thing is the fuel gauge not working and miles to empty shows zero, and all this happened the last time I rode.

Thanks for your response, I'll start checking all the things you said.

The other weird thing is the fuel gauge not working and miles to empty shows zero, and all this happened the last time I rode.

By position light I mean the little lamp under the headlamp in the bucket is on all the time. I never noticed that before.

Thanks for your response, I'll start checking all the things you said.

Back