mklambe

.020 Over
Returning from a 350 mile run today, downshifted into 4 gear, engine roared when trying to accelerate but gear obviously not engaging. Then this happened with 2 gear. Had to cover the last 50 miles with 1 3 and 5 gear. Also its not now showing neutral.
Bike is a 2008 touting model with 15000 miles on clock.
Gear position indicator replaced by dealer last year.
I am a total idiot when it comes to mechanical matters so any indications what the problem is would be appreciated. I cannot contact the dealer until Tuesday. Bike is totally standard no mods or tunes.
Thanks
Mike

So where do you live..no indication of your location.Is your R3T blue on blue??/>>I ask because my dealer had a 2 tone blue 08 with tranny issues due to rider abuse...They are tough trannys but will not adhere to speed shifting and keeping up with the speed triples,daytonas,etc.

Thanks for reply. Cant say the tranny has been abused. I ride alone. Most milage would be motorway in 5 gear 60 to 70 mpr.
Regards Mike

Sounds a little like the problem I just had fixed. First indication was that it was jumping out of gear and then, because I was riding more carefully, it wouldn't engage properly. 2nd and 4th were the worst. Shift lever was 'soft', but not floppy. Was also really hard to find neutral - or rather get the light to come on - which was a real bugger because it wouldn't run or start with the stand down even though it wasn't in gear.

Mine was a broken detent spring. It can be fixed by removing the front cover of the engine, rather than the engine needing to come out, but many guys have reported that dealers pull the engine, costing meg bucks in labour. It should only be about an hour's work if done properly. My sump also had to come off because they couldn't find all the bits. I was lucky because Triumph Australia agreed to do it as a warranty job even though I'm out of warranty (by 3 months).

Take it to your dealer and get them to diagnose the problem. If it's (probably) the detent spring also contact your local Triumph rep to see if they'll come to the party - don't leave it up to the dealer to do that. Tell them you know this to be a common fault that certainly shouldn't happen after just 15000 miles even on an 08 bike and that it should be rectified (as a goodwill gesture if nothing else).

If it's something else wrong with the tranny you should still make the call to Triumph. You never know! Our guy here is Aus is fantastic and very fair. Good luck!

Edit - I know this is the Touring Forum and your bike is a Touring, but I think the problem/fix could be same as for a Standard. Hence my comments above. ;)

What he said^

I had my detent spring replaced 5k miles ago as I just rolled over 20k today. They "said" they put in a stronger one, we shall see.

Thanks CanberraR3, that sounds very like my problems.
Elvis i presume your bike was out of warranty when spring was replaced. Dit Triumph cover cost?
Thanks for advice.
Regards Mike

Thanks elvis.
At that price i guess they must have been able to do the work without stripping out the engine?
Regards Mike

Thanks elvis.
At that price i guess they must have been able to do the work without stripping out the engine?
Regards Mike

I may be wrong (getting older) I think I posted here, it involved an oil and antifreeze change.

Back