R3T Clutch Rattle Noise

valk97goose

.040 Over
Just finished a 3500km ride to the Super Bikes at Phillip Island and back to Sydney the long way. I now have 4400kms on the bike.

The last couple of days of the trip I noticed a rattle between 80k to 100k (top gear), above 100k no noise at all. This happens in all gears at different speeds. The rattle noise sounds like a washer rattling on a shaft and is quite pronounced.

Now if I take up the slack on the clutch leaver the noise stops. The clutch adjustment is correct.

Anyone have an idea what this might be.

Thanks...

mine does that, pretty much from new, I think they're just a noisy clutch, I know the clunk into first could drown out the stebel sometimes :lol:

My 2005 Rocket III also has a decent clutch rattle. Because I don't like this noise very much I try not to ride slower than 65 mph on top gear.

Hi OzDave...

This rattle only started a few days ago about at 2500km. It's not the clunky gearbox, which seems more quiet that the Valkyrie. This noise sounds like a washer rattling on a shaft. It's in the clutch area as when I just take up the slack on the clutch lever it stops.

I will get the techs to look at it I think, it's a bloody annoying sound, probably more so because I wear an open face helmet.

Hi Valk!

You should have this checked- any metallic sound is not acceptable. Mine R3 gives off rather different sound, it's like low-pitch rumbling when the clutch is de-pressed (engaged), it bears resemblance to the sound that laundry washing machines make at low rpm.

Check the mesh grill on the radiator shroud. While you're at it, check the shroud itself, tighten it up.

Also, check the chrome oil filter cover and make sure it's tight.

Make sure the springy cover on the pump hose isn't rattling too.

Yes I checked all that stuff first Juggernaut, but when I found that taking up the slack on the clutch lever stopped the noise I was convinced it was in the clutch housing somewhere.

Dropped the R3T into BikeBiz last Monday to get them to find the clutch problem.

They rang me yesterday to tell me there is a problem and they will be pulling her down next Tuesday to find out what the problem is.

I hope nothing major...

Got the R3T back after two weeks. They pulled it down and inspected the clutch and could not find any problem at all. Put it all back together and bunged it on the dyno to check it out.

Called me on the phone and said the bike is all ok. No clutch problem could be found. So I picked her up and on the ride home found that there was NO rattling noise at all; all quiet like when it was new.

So looks like the process of pulling it apart and putting it back together again fixed the problem, there must have been something lose that is now not lose.

On the road again........

Back