Carey J

.020 Over
Evening all, is there another R3T owner with a chair fitted that I could discuss experiences with oil steering dampners? I have attached a double chair a month or so ago and am puzzled with problems encountered with the dampner and leading link forks. Regards Carey

You need to be a little more specific as to exactly what kind of handling ills are presenting themselves, however......

Unless you have some serious geometry problems, I'd be removing any external damper device with a leading link fork (Earls) type. You have plenty of built in trail in the leading link fork as it is.

The only time you need external dampers is when you employ a telescopic fork with less trail.

Did you check the toe and the lean out before you ride the outfit? The leanout is especially going to make the outfit handle strangely if there isn't enough or too much. I have my outfit set to 1/2" measured at the top of the rear wheel and 1/2" of toe as well.

Dr. Hal Kendall has an excellent book available to help you set up the outfit. It's available from the USCA on their website www.sidecar.com

Rocket and sidecar, steering dampner

Thank you for the response Flip, I purchased an EZS Munro chair (two seater) that came as a full unit, i.e. auto wheels all round, leading link and steering dampner. The unit was attached by an exceptionally qualified motorcycle engineer and sidecar racer here in Sydney, Doug Chivos, so I am confident of the setup etc. The steering dampner is supplied and recommended by the designer Dave & Albert Engbers so I am also guided by their wisdom. When Doug adjusted and tested it prior to my picking it up he thought the steering 'too heavy' for his liking and left it off. I rode it home (about 150kms) and thought it 'very light' in the steering (in comparison to a K100 & chair I have also (fitted with leading links and dampner) so I put it back on. It is a sealed unit and has since began leaking, I have been told they are unrepairable thus the question about gas/oil dampners. I had thought of communicating with the maker but given the distance i.e. Netherlands and the relative petty value of a dampner when compared to my satisfaction with the rest of the unit, intended to get some advice and replace it myself. When I spoke of the steering being 'light' I meant the front end just didn't give me any confidence given the size and weight of the Rocket and chair and on accelleration from stationary there was some shaking of the front end. Regards Carey

Back