R3 Touring dyno-tuning results

Power-Tripp

Turbocharged
2008 Rocket III Touring on EC997 dyno.
Stock exhaust with baffles drilled - stock cats in silencers.
K&N under-seat filter.
87 Octane pump fuel.
TuneEdit tuning.
All runs in 4th gear to keep out of speed limiter at higher rpm.

Blue - As delivered - Modified 20233 tune. Would not hold a load well under 2500 rpm. Hit stock speed limiter at 5000 rpm. This tune is lean in all parts of the map. SAE 85.85 hp, 122.2 ft-lb (for those used to Dynojet numbers, this would be ~ 96-97 hp / 138 ft-lb).

Yellow - Modified 20235 "final" tune. 6700 rpm rev limit. 205 kph speed limit. Lean at part throttle and low rpm WOT.

Green - Tuned 20235 tune. More fuel everywhere - especially at part throttle. More ignition advance - 5000 rpm and above. 144.4 ft-lb @ 2000rpm (~ 163 ft-lb Dynojet) The small throttle body bores (higher intake velocity) work down low, but limit flow at higher rpm - choking above 5000 rpm.

Brown - Exact same as green, but added octane booster to simulate 93 octane pump gas. The engine wanted more advance up to 3500 rpm, and more fuel and ignition advance at higher rpm, but was left untouched. SAE 117.67 hp (~ 133 hp Dynojet). 37% increase in horsepower, 18% increase in torque.

Standard R3 throttle bodies needed! More exhaust flow wanted.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nice post Tripp Thanks,

It looks prety good for for basicly stock set up, I wonder where the numbers would be with the TOR's or the D&D slips on's

yes,
very impressive, I was a little surprised at those numbers....

greg

That makes two of us.
This is the single largest gain I have seen from tuning... EVER. The initial runs were surprisingly low compared to standard R3s. The de-tuning in the stock mapping was immediately evident.

The owner was a little upset with the results of the initial pulls as delivered (you could see it in his eyes), but brightened up immediately as we started giving the engine what it wanted.

At the end, I performed 3 back-to back runs (same coolant and oil temps and nearly overlapping traces - other than one done in 5th gear), with the final one just dumping in the fuel additive, shaking the bike a bit, and immediately starting the run.

The owner left the shop at noon, and called me back at 6:00 pm to say he had just gotten off the bike (finally) and had been riding all afternoon - enjoying the smooth performance at all engine speeds/loads.

He has already contacted Flip for triple K&Ns, and is planing exhaust and throttle body changes.

Last edited:
Thats pretty sweet. So just tuning the A/F made the difference? I see you added the boost. But that would be something you could do at the pump. I assume somebody like me could add tuneboy then add the new tune and get the same performance. I do plan on adding slip ons down the road but if say removing the secondaries and downloading a different tune could give performance gains....that would be a bonus.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

mutt

Kmutt,
A slip-on should help a good bit. Removing the secondaries and cleaning up the throttle bores and blades will likely improve output at higher rpm. As will using the larger throttle body from a normal R3, and adding individual filters under the bear claw. But the larger throttle body bores will likely lose a bit of torque at 3000 rpm and under.

Every R3 I have tuned wants a bit different fueling, but the timing requirements for max brake torque (MBT) seem to be very similar if using the exact same bolt-on parts. The difference between loading a downloaded tune, and having the bike tuned well, can be seen in the above graph in the yellow and green lines. This only shows output at WOT, the differences at part throttle can be even larger.

As you can see in the green and brown lines, tuning for the specific fuel you use regularly is important on the R3T - smaller bore bikes are less sensitive. If you run 87 or 89 octane, tune for it - preferably the same brand you use most. Lower octane fuels tend to improve output at lower rpm, and increase throttle response. Using higher octane (93 pump premium) tends to improve higher rpm output, and will lose a bit of low end torque and throttle response - unless tuning is optimized for this fuel.

As you add modifications that improve airflow into, and out of, the engine, the cylinder pressure will increase. This means the engine will demand more octane for best performance (even if the engine is not knock limited, like in the case of the R3T).

I hope this helps,
-Wayne

Wayne the place that has the throttle bodies also has a regular R3 ECM if they are the same then you won't need the harness (They have also) and the serial number when sent to tune boy will have a standard R3 serial number which will give you the ability to modify the speed limiter.

Torque

The dynotune belongs to my RIIIT which I enjoyed for 31,000 miles, then Wayne did the tune that brought it alive. Just thinking about the fun I missed out on if the tune was done a year ago. I love that man (NOT in a northern, same sex marriage kind of way). The simple mods to the intake and exhaust really leaned the motor out, so Wayne could put the fuel to it. I imagine there are many disappointed owners of RIIIT's out there, and I highly recommend you contact Wayne at Power-Tripp if you want a smooth, controllable power delivery with a kick in the ass. Warning: If you don't respect the throttle, especially at low RPM's in 1st and 2nd gear, you can get out of control quick. But that's why we ride 140 CI motorsicles, we love TORQUE. I do have a plan #2 that will hopefully happen within the next month, and hopefully have some more low cost, redneck power gains to share. Thanx 2 Wayne!

Back