r3 salt flats cruiser record

hawg dawg

.060 Over
set by kelly boltz--son of washington state based cycle barn owners--jim and jeanette boltz. bike prepared by lynnwood cycle barn's scott zollars. they partnered with falkner-livingston racing team to a speed over 154 article says. thinks 170 is do-able in future. **** kaw zx-14 ran 198.774. -----------------ran a falken ziex xe512 245/50zr16 "drifting" tire.-------www.cyclebarn.com --www.racingfl.com --- www.mpsracing.com ---www.falkentire.com ------taken from MPNmag.com --nov. 2007 pages 82 & 83. --------got from my dealer today. -------john

john l. mckee said:
set by kelly boltz--son of washington state based cycle barn owners--jim and jeanette boltz. bike prepared by lynnwood cycle barn's scott zollars. they partnered with falkner-livingston racing team to a speed over 154 article says. thinks 170 is do-able in future. **** kaw zx-14 ran 198.774. -----------------ran a falken ziex xe512 245/50zr16 "drifting" tire.------- www.cyclebarn.com -- www.racingfl.com --- www.mpsracing.com --- www.falkentire.com ------taken from MPNmag.com --nov. 2007 pages 82 & 83. --------got from my dealer today. -------john

:wink:

Thanks for the post John. It is indeed hard to get the power to the ground with the slippage up there, and then there is all that wind you got to push out of the way.

Scott Zollars of Cycle Barn is the real deal. Best Triumph wrench on the West Coast according to my dealer (not Cycle Barn) and according to the factory truck guys. The bike they used at the flats is on display at the dealership. The steering damper configuration alone convinced me I don't want to go there.

Another Rocket record using a darkside tire. :p
Were these the same guys as the previous record holders that also used a car tire or maybe it is the same record we're talking about?

Are you sure you got the tire model/specs right, John? I don't see a Falken XE512, just a ZE512. It's also a hard all season tire. Interesting choice if that is the correct tire. Wonder if hard rubber works better for the salt flats. That kind of tire wouldn't make my list for performance or even every day cornering.

Any other info on bike mods? I don't see any online articles about this.

Back