r3 rider backrest

hawg dawg

.060 Over
my dealer just got one in . tried it out today. on bike sittin in showroom. anybody out there got actual highway time with this?? lotta ole farts out there like me who probably "need" this! ----for back support. give us some "learnin!". ---thanks--john

Hey John:

I have 12K miles on my R3 since I bought the Utopia backrest. It is absolutely great. I have it set so it moves me quite a ways forward which gets my legs underneath me what with the Rivco boards. Much better riding position as it takes all the weight off the tailbone and means I can go 500 miles in a day on a stock seat and still walk at the end of it.

There web address is www.utpr.com

Pinky

backrest

thanks pinky. will check it out. the one i saw came from triumph. probably 3 to 4 times the cost of utopia!! ----john

Not being one for saddlebags, John, this works best for me (storage and a backrest):

The rollbag on the front is from Link Removed and you don't need a sissybar to mount it

I too have the Utopia backrest. It's the best thing since sliced bread......... I cannot believe I went so long w/ out one. You will love it John. :wink: FYI...... I am not an ol fart either..... just 35 years young.........

I have the Triumph seat and backrest and although I haven't done more then a few hundred miles I have this to say,
I think this is best for smaller people, I have mine set on the furthest back settign and there is no way i could move it forwar at all and still get on the bike ( there is a dial that allows you to click 6 positions that moves it closer to the tank and further away.

that being said its really supportive and I like it, just think it would be better for smaller people.

I'm 5-11 230 lbs

I agree with Regulator. It would be almost perfect if it had a position '0', just a little further back. I'm on the large size (6'1" 300lbs) and it makes for a tight fit with the tank. Triumph, are you listening?

now I rode with a full leather jacket and back pad...just felt wierd, comfy but wierd, I noticed it more when I removed it cause I reliezed that when I lean into the turn I really lean my whole upper body, and when I ride with the back rest my upper body is imobilized, great for touring, not so great ( for me ) for hard curves

maybe that's why my 5' 9" skinny 150 lbs. fit so good on it. #1 and #2 setting seemed like the furtherest forward it should have gone. #3-#6 way too forward. should go back further i think for hiway ridin. i guess if you were real careful you could take it off and bend the flat bar for better fitment. ?????. i'm lookin at a h/d unit that uses a little gas shock and a cable to adjust as an alternative. anybody familar w/ this?? ---john

John, I have 8000 miles on my Triumph back rest. I'm 6'1" 230 lbs. and it is just the best for me. I had two 12 hour rocket runs last month when I went to Georgia and it saved me. It's also very comfortable for lots of local riding. I'd agree with Regulator that it could go back a tad further, but still, it is very worth it. Yes, it makes it less than ideal for the twisties, but I don't think you should be leaning back while in the twisties...you need all of your body at full attention. I wouldn't want to ride without it. Just my $.02. 8)

Back