R3 popping some

alselec

.060 Over
When I'm going slow holding a steady throttle I've started noticing a pop occaisionally, like a backfire in the exhaust and causes a short stop in power when it happens. I have the Cat converter removed with the add on manafold and retuned to match. (all done at the dealer when I bought it new). Could it be a little to rich and reigniting in the exhaust? May have to have it retuned at the dealer.

Try the twelve minute tune and see if that does anything for you. A lot of times that's all that is needed..

The twelve minute tune is....

Start with a cold motor, start it up without touching the throttle, let it idle (without touching the throttle) until the cooling fans kick on, let it idle for at least twelve minutes more (without touching the throttle) and then shut it off. Wait for a minute or so and go ride it. This resets your learned varaiables to the default settings and it will start to re-learn taking into account your new equipment.

Decel popping

Will the 12 minute tune resolve the deceleration popping which is present when downshifting in reserved manner while coming to a complete stop. I've heard several ask similar questions, often with mods involved, which are most frequently answered with: put another $400-800 into Tuneboy or PowerCommander or other "upgrades" If the popping is normal for fully stock machine then I can live with it; if not what is the resolution? I've not gotten it in for a 500 mile check yet.

alselec --you are correct about the fuel igniting in the exhaust but it is caused by a lean condition on decel. The Power Commander will solve it and I have several tunes that I have modified via Tuneboy that pretty much take care of it. Dougl did some data logging with the tuneboy and the areas in the fueling maps where the popping occurs, I used his info and added extra fuel which pretty much takes care of it. You won't notice the popping with the catalytic converter attached.

The twelve minute tune should be done after any intake or exhaust mods to force adaptions in the ECU. The ECU will store fuel trims based on info it receives from the O2 sensor when in open loop. The 12 min tune will wipe those so it can build them again based on the new set up. All of the stock tunes are very lean mainly to meet emission regs.

HeR3tic-- all of the stock Triumph tunes will do it. Do you have the catalytic converter fitted? because that is the only way to muffle the popping.

Try This

I've got a Power commander III USB for sale.You can make changes to the map on your computer,best go put it on a dyno and they will dial the PC III USB in.

Maybe I'm weird, but I love the way mine pops on decel. It only does it as the rpms drop under 2k at full decel and I like the way it sounds, more of a deep crackle than a pop pop pop.

12 Minute Tune

Thanks Tomo for the howto. The decel popping is quite diminished after follow your howto instructions. I accomplished the measure a second time after the engine went cold. I was on Bush Light the day of the first tune, so no riding then. Totally acceptable decel rumble - no pop.

07 Tourer - fully stock

Back