R3 Newbie - Questions on Progressive for 2016 R3R

AJ1

.020 Over
Ride
2016 R3R
Hi all,

Just had my 2016 R3R for a few weeks . Was researching progressive shocks. When I check their website 2015 and later model R3Rs do not come up.

I see 444-4209B is compatible with 2014 models. Does it work on 2016 R3R ?
is 12.5 inch the right length ?

I weigh 205 lb. May have a occasional rider 115 lb. Should I go for the standard or heavy duty ? If I ride solo with heavy duty, will it affect ride quality ?

Many thanks,
AJ

Yes it will work just fine IMG_0353.JPG Am running the heavy duty (245 pounds) Adjustment on shocks is at the top end. I would go with the standard.

Same for all years and 12.5" is stock length. With 13" you will get a smoother more compliant ride and increased travel with a softer spring for the same load support. Go the standard shock with your weight as even if you carry a pillion you can increase the spring pre-load easily.

See posts #139 and #143 here SHOCKS

I would recommend the following:
Length-Rate-Order No.-----Spring No.----------Rate lbs/In
13.0" Std 444-4213B/C 1365-20B/30----------120/170

The B is for Black or C is for Chrome versions. The lbs/in is not the rider weight but the two stage progressive spring rates per inch of spring,
you will have a spring on each side with 3.19" of travel so it will support you, the rear of your bike and pillions weight with ease.

By getting 13" and the extra height will make the front end slightly more responsive as well due to a minor steering geometry change.

Many of us also use the Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial rear 240/55/R16 tire which has a 55 compared to stock 50 tire aspect ration profile giving another 0.5 " raise in rear axle height

Last edited:
You didn't ask I'm not intending to cause thread drift but have you considered Hagon Nitro's?

Custom built to your specs in the UK. Excellent quality.

I've had both brands.

You didn't ask I'm not intending to cause thread drift but have you considered Hagon Nitro's?

Custom built to your specs in the UK. Excellent quality.

I've had both brands.

Thank you ... Being a newbie , never heard of Hagons !
Which one is better from price/performance perspective ? What is the part number for Hagon Nitro for 2016 R3R ?

Thank you ... Being a newbie , never heard of Hagons !
Which one is better from price/performance perspective ? What is the part number for Hagon Nitro for 2016 R3R ?

Hagon is the brand, Nitro is the model.

Hagon Shocks LLC  --  Home Page

Just give Dave (great guy) a call and he will help you spec the right stuff. These are custom built so it takes a while. Mine took 6 weeks. I got +40MM. I would go at least +20MM. Stockers seem short to me.

I had Progressive 440's on my 07, not impressed. I'm sure the 444's are a lot better.

Only bad thing, now I realize of crummy the front shocks are. :D:D:D:D

Back