R3 lighting problem

GaryH

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3 roadster 2013
Hello all,
I am new to the group.
I have a problem with my R3. Fitted some LED headlights to the bike & the back light has stopped working. Tested the wiring & no power coming down the wire. Traced back to the connection under the side panel, tested again no power.. Checked wiring diagram & it shows the power for th back light comes from th headlight 2. Removed both headlights & placed them on top of the headlight shell whilst carrying out further checks. Switched of ignition & when I switched back on head lights are now not working either. Have checked all fuses & they are all good. I am totally baffled now. Can anyone help please ?

Hello all,
I am new to the group.
I have a problem with my R3. Fitted some LED headlights to the bike & the back light has stopped working. Tested the wiring & no power coming down the wire. Traced back to the connection under the side panel, tested again no power.. Checked wiring diagram & it shows the power for th back light comes from th headlight 2. Removed both headlights & placed them on top of the headlight shell whilst carrying out further checks. Switched of ignition & when I switched back on head lights are now not working either. Have checked all fuses & they are all good. I am totally baffled now. Can anyone help please ?

For some reason my diagrams will not load.
I have them for both versions.
If you want PM me an email and I'll send them to you.

Gary that's good news it means you have the most robust version of the Rocket headlight wiring designs, so all the headlight current isn't passing through the ignition switch.

I would start looking at the connectors under the tank first, including the ignition switch connector.

If those are all sound and seated, I'd suggest double check the relays are functioning properly as that's really the only other part it could be.

Gary that's good news it means you have the most robust version of the Rocket headlight wiring designs, so all the headlight current isn't passing through the ignition switch.

I would start looking at the connectors under the tank first, including the ignition switch connector.

If those are all sound and seated, I'd suggest double check the relays are functioning properly as that's really the only other part it could be.
Hi Claviger
Thank you for the info. That was my thought regarding the relay. The only one I see on the diagram I have is the starter relay &going to buy one today & try that.

You can test it with a bit of wire and a multimeter. Connect ground to relay ground, multimeter from ground to switched output of relay to measure it. Then use a wire to connect and disconnect the power to the relay and verify its switching properly.

You can test it with a bit of wire and a multimeter. Connect ground to relay ground, multimeter from ground to switched output of relay to measure it. Then use a wire to connect and disconnect the power to the relay and verify its switching properly.
Thank you will try that electrical problems are not my forte
Many thanks

Back