slidderhd

Turbocharged
Ride
2008 R3T
I had my R3T 4 years before selling it. I just wanted to share things I learned along the way.
1. Eastern Beaver pigtail is a must for head lights.
2. Truck-lites led head light and driving lamps Rock! Life changing.
3. Never, never, ever put apes on your rocket and use car tire. To say it makes it hard to turn and hold a line in a corner is an understatement.
4. Car tires are good. Just do research. Just because they all say the same size, different brands have different measurements and you will find out when you hit a bump and it rubs.
5. Ape Hangers might make hand position more comfortable, but you lose any leverage at turning, so be prepared for the extra effort when turning.
6. Tour-paks on the rear are nice, but make sure you account for the added weight. My wife and I together push 500lbs. Any Additional weight causes bottoming out. Aftermarket shocks tend to be made for comfort, not extra load.
7. Bushtec makes the best hitch for our bike. Sturdier than stock and we'll made.
8. Get the pigtail for trailer lights.

If I think of anymore, I'll update this.

Lol. I pulled a Roll-a-Home camper with it. You can look at my pics. To be honest, putting the baby apes on it combined with my wife not wanting to ride it anymore due to hip pain drove my decision. Very hard to steer. Looked at a 2011 R3 today. Would like to try the Roadster.

Lol. I pulled a Roll-a-Home camper with it. You can look at my pics. To be honest, putting the baby apes on it combined with my wife not wanting to ride it anymore due to hip pain drove my decision. Very hard to steer. Looked at a 2011 R3 today. Would like to try the Roadster.

Ahh! I remember you now! You were once writing in a thread about your shocks being too weak for all that stuff you haul!

What bars did you run? How much higher than stock were they? We're they wider or narrower than stock? The 7" risers I had made and I installed onmy 2014 R3T work great with the stock handle bars.

The issue with MANY Apehangers is they are NOT really very stiff. The Triumph OEM bar (on the non-T anyway) is remarkably heavy duty. The current bars I have on are normal H/D HD bars and the tubing is thinner.

This offers some pros and cons. Because they flex they seem to transmit less road vibes - but also therefore do not allow the same feedback. The bars I had on the R3 before were not the OEM - but were VERY stiff Z-Bars. 3mm thick sidewall. Could feel everything and were also fine with a Car Tyre. Less leverage than now but far more tactile.

I changed bars because I damaged my shoulder and had to change riding position or sell the beast.

I have run Apes on my Guzzi for 30 years - but they are made to measure double skinned (stainless with mild steel liner) in total 1/8" thick - Masses of leverage. Even so not as stiff as the braced bars Guzzi made for the US police force.

I personally DO NOT LIKE THE SECONDARY ERGONOMICS - but would suggest that T bars are maybe the ideal choice for R3's. Can be high comfy and stiff.

I agree with the statement above about car tire, and bars. I just moved the car tire from my stock 2013 Roadster, to my 2005 "low rider hard tail" that has a set of short "Z" bars, and it is a ***** to turn. However, it is intended for straight-a-ways, so it works, but takes a lot of effort to get it on the edge of the car tire for a turn.:confused:

What bars did you run? How much higher than stock were they? We're they wider or narrower than stock? The 7" risers I had made and I installed onmy 2014 R3T work great with the stock handle bars.

I ran the Kustom Krome BAby Apes 16" for the Harley Springer. I agree about the rigidity issue. They seemed to flex allot a slow speeds. Springer bar Knurled locations come closest to lining up with our R3 handle bar knurled locations.

Additional note: If you look at my picture, you see the King Leather Tour-Pak from Harley attached. Huge and is very proportional to the big girl. The issue is the problem Harley had. That's why they only put it on the Screeming Eagle bikes one year. Empty, the thing weighs about 40 to 50 lbs with the mounting rack attached. looked good and functional. Just made bike too top heavy.

Back