R3 Exhaust question/s

Poleinsider

.020 Over
Ride
2008 R3 Touring
New here, New R3 owner. Finally after 13 years I sold my VTX1800R with V&H big shots (no baffle) So you know I am extremely disappointed with the stock sound and even performance to some degree but will be addressing that next. The exhaust note is 1st on the agenda. I have spent literally hours researching online and have read 100's of opinions. Problem with all that is "mass confusion" as to the direction I should actually take.
I wish to dramatically change the sound of her but not to the extent I had with the VTX. Currently I believe I wish to keep the stock pipes, believe I need a cat bypass pipe? and a new map? What mods are required in achieving this and where do I get the 3 in to 2 bypass pipe for my R3 touring model?
I thank everyone in advance for any help you can give me.

Welcome polesider , :eek: that was lucky , predictatext came out as poleslider ! Would have raised some questions . :oops:
From one of the Brits . Can't comment too much on the tourer , but the guru's will be along shortly with a wealth of info and options for you . Trust no one but the guys on here , they know their stuff better than anyone you will meet and anything you will ever read ! :thumbsup:

New here, New R3 owner. Finally after 13 years I sold my VTX1800R with V&H big shots (no baffle) So you know I am extremely disappointed with the stock sound and even performance to some degree but will be addressing that next. The exhaust note is 1st on the agenda. I have spent literally hours researching online and have read 100's of opinions. Problem with all that is "mass confusion" as to the direction I should actually take.
I wish to dramatically change the sound of her but not to the extent I had with the VTX. Currently I believe I wish to keep the stock pipes, believe I need a cat bypass pipe? and a new map? What mods are required in achieving this and where do I get the 3 in to 2 bypass pipe for my R3 touring model?
I thank everyone in advance for any help you can give me.
SAVE your money you can remove the complete stock exhaust from the header back and then install a slip on muffler that will remove 40 + pounds and has the least restriction for the best performance and a great sound depending what muffler core you use if any I run mine without any and you use a free flowing intake and retune to give you a big boost in power and you should be happy for a while

Last edited:
Welcome polesider , :eek: that was lucky , predictatext came out as poleslider ! Would have raised some questions . :oops:
From one of the Brits . Can't comment too much on the tourer , but the guru's will be along shortly with a wealth of info and options for you . Trust no one but the guys on here , they know their stuff better than anyone you will meet and anything you will ever read ! :thumbsup:
SAVE your money you can remove the complete stock exhaust from the header back and then install a slip on muffler that will remove 40 + pounds and has the least restriction for the best performance and a great sound depending what muffler core you use if any I run mine without any and you use a free flowing intake and retune to give you a big boost in power and you should be happy for a while

What do you suggest for re-tune?

You have a good selection to chose from. The first point is cost, there are options ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand, and generally, performance goes up as you spend, it's not just a name, but there are a few exceptions!

Ebay has a few systems regularly listed, outlaws, slip ons etc, these will be mostly sound but will give a little more pep to the bike.

Then you could do an ebay cross over pipe and TORs (Triumph off road) mufflers. The TORs are without cat, larger internal diameter, sound good but not particularly loud. Very livable. Intake and TORs with the cross over can land you in the 140s for whp SAE.

Then there's the Jardine full system, sounds great, is loud, does give more performance hard to find, its out of production.

Then there's paul, viking exhaust, who makes a beautiful system, I haven't heard it, and as far as I know there are no posted dynos, but there's no reason to expect it doesnt sound good or perform well.

Then there's the in production performance oriented full systems which have quite different sounds but all add a good bit of power, DESPITE what anyone says, this community STILL hasn't seen a back to back, same bike same dyno same day comparison of the three to see which makes the most power on a R3 without a modified motor, in order of price they are:

Carpenter Racing
CES
REBAND

What do you suggest for re-tune?
Check out the threads on Tune ECU , a whole wealth of information and a whole load of guys here who will happily send you a tune that will transform the beast . Firstly tho , you wanna decide what route your going with exhausts and intake ? It all seems a bit daunting at first but it really isn't and the wonderful fellas here will take you through step by step !

On the Touring model the cats are in the mufflers, the crossover is just an empty box. I don't think anyone has actually tested how restrictive it is. Any slip on pipe will be an improvement.

Check out the threads on Tune ECU , a whole wealth of information and a whole load of guys here who will happily send you a tune that will transform the beast . Firstly tho , you wanna decide what route your going with exhausts and intake ? It all seems a bit daunting at first but it really isn't and the wonderful fellas here will take you through step by step !
I agree with @IMFASTTOO with regards to a dyno tune , unfortunately tho not everyone has a tuner acceptably close by !

Back