The speedo stopped working and the trip. Odometer resets after every ride. Any suggestions?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Paul Schwalm

Standard Bore
Ride
2007 rocket 3
I just got a 2007 rocket three a couple of weeks ago. It is now showing erratic behavior in that the speedo and tach don’t always cycle when starting. At the moment it is the speedometer only which is not working and the trip meter resets after each use. Looking for common problems in the electrical system that could cause this very disturbing behavior.

First of all, welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of knowledge and information and help here. You can also find a lot of really great people who can become great friends. Take a chance to introduce yourself in the New Members section.

Make sure that all the cable connections are good and also clean. There are a few threads on speedo issues.

The link in my signature will probably also be useful for you.

First of all, welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of knowledge and information and help here. You can also find a lot of really great people who can become great friends. Take a chance to introduce yourself in the New Members section.

Make sure that all the cable connections are good and also clean. There are a few threads on speedo issues.

The link in my signature will probably also be useful for you.
Thanks very much idk

Sad to say, not uncommon issue with that generation speedo - it is usually within the instrument itself and its a sealed module

You can check fuse 3 which supplies the constant power to the instrument which allows it to retain the stored trip info - but if that's good, probably the instrument itself I'm afraid

Sad to say, not uncommon issue with that generation speedo - it is usually within the instrument itself and its a sealed module

You can check fuse 3 which supplies the constant power to the instrument which allows it to retain the stored trip info - but if that's good, probably the instrument itself I'm afraid
Thanks very much, does fuse 3 Control anything else other than the speedo and trip meter.?

Just accessories - heated grips/clock/acc skt
The heated grips the clock And accessories all work. It’s just the speedo and trip odometer and that do not work. Actually the trip odometer works but resets every time power is shut off. The speedo does not cycle when the bike is turned on.

So ......
Mine was the speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, not working and Trip. And clock reset everytime you turned the key off, MIL check engine light came on getting 0500 error code = speed sensor not reading, read speedometer problems in here, found somebody else had the same problems, ordered a used speed sensor on pinwall.com or ebay and installed, my speedometer and fuel gauge are working, and self cancel signals, but still have the trip and clock reset issues. Hope that helps someone I see this thread is old. Problem started when I disconnected the speedometer, I think because I didn't disconnect the battery first, I fried the speed sensor, but I don't know what the problem is with the other stuff, resets, I hope I didn't fry something in the ECU, but I can live without a trip meter and a clock, Trip meter works just resets every time you start it, and no more error code. GL hope it helps and if anybody can tell me why my trip meter and clock resets every time I start it, please post. Good Day 😊
Day 2 checked wiring diagram, #3 fuse power's constant power to purple wire in speedometer instruments clock and Trip meters I checked power at acc. Socket, no power at purple wire says #17 connection on diagram I think it was #7 on block, but went to put probe light into wire and it fell off the connecting block, problem solved had no soldering stuff, so pried connection apart couldn't get it out, scratched it clean the best I could, sprayed contact cleaner and stuck it back in stripped a little back of course, and crimped back together with probe, all that time forgot to disconnect the battery again, disconnected and put it all back together and everything works except the fuel gauge, but I got a code 1690 and reset hoping the fuel gauge will reset, took a little while last time, and I've seen some post's saying they do that sometimes, crossing my fingers.

Reference

.040 Over​

On my previous R3T, the fuel gauge would go dead after tuning the ECU or battery removal for storage. It would take quite a while for the averaging circuit to recharge and the gauge work again. Lots of folks thought there were faults.

Last edited:
Back