R3 at El Mirage land speed racing event

jpool

.060 Over
Ride
2011 R3 Roadster
I was at El Mirage dry lake in Southern California today to watch SCTA land speed racing, and I spotted this:
1.jpg

I didn't have a chance to talk to the R3 rider, does anyone recognize the bike? He ran 147 MPH on the run I saw.

As usual, there were also many other interesting contestants, such as this 650cc Shovelhead:
3.jpg

And a 180 MPH turbo diesel DeSoto:
4.jpg

I've seen that bike around the web a few times, but do no recall the owner's name.

@jpool and I were out at the El Mirage dry lake bed Oct. 22 and saw this prepped Rocket, same one he saw back in 2015 when he first made this thread. Owner says he's making 2 bar with that custom intake manifold... only engine performance mods are intake and exhaust. Check out those relocated controls, rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir. FWIW he likes the stock Metzlers front and rear for his runs. Now if only we could get @jpool to trade in that soulless FJR for another Rocket. We did have some fun with our own unofficial 100+ mph runs on the lake bed though :D

20171022_144443.jpg

20171022_144537.jpg

20171022_145358.jpg

Last edited:
He should call that 'Lay Down Misere'.

Misère - Wikipedia
A misere bid usually indicates an extremely poor hand, hence the name. An open or lay down misere, or misere ouvert is a 500 bid where the player is so sure of losing every trick that they undertake to do so with their cards placed face-up on the table. Consequently, 'lay down misere' is Australian gambling slang for a predicted easy victory.
Another lesson for @1olbull ;):D

Seriously long header to collector pipe length should suit high rpm gains I suppose.
Love the milk urn air intake reminds me of @cootertwo 's fueltank.

Back