R III or Victory XC

peterh

Standard Bore
Hi

I currently own a Vulcan 1700 nomad. I find it's time to make a change. Nomad is just a bit too cramped.

I have narrowed my focus on two bikes. XC or the Rocket III. I know they aren't really an apples to apples comparison but they both have a strong appeal to me.

Can anyone who has compared the two or owned both give me some feedback. It would be appreciated.

Looking to buy end of next season.

Have averaged about 15,000 per season.

Long rides? Yes. Love them
Storage important? Yes. Always pack too much
Passenger? Would like it, but wife is too scared right now.
Power? Nomad is under powered in my mind. XC would most likely be all I need, RIII more than enough
Comfort? Important. The nomad has a really good reputation but it's too cramped for me, and I am only 6'01".
Moding? Some, actually I like tinkering with the look. Lights, seat, paint & chrome.

Definitely go for the Victory. It should give you enough of most things. That's what you're after, right?? Enough? Clearly the Rocket's no good for anyone wanting "enough" because it will give you more than enough of everything, and who'd want that? :rolleyes:

The other reason I'd go for the Victory if I were you is because (as you say) you like to tinker with the look. While the XC would be considerably less challenging than the Vision, it will still provide you with boundless opportunities to improve its appearance. Frankly you'd be bored with the Rocket. :D

Oh and another thing. Reputation is something else you mention. Triumph, est 1902. Victory, est just the other day.

As for me.. I have 5 trucks..'62.. '63..'66..'66..'85 and and a shop full of tools... I didn't even test ride the perfect bike for me.. '09 r3.... i just knew it's what suited me.. driving/wrernching old stuff is my passion... i like to ride as an individual.... and fast.. the rocket will easily tow a trailer... if ya want... pick the victory... i'll still wave at you when i fly by ya....:D;):eek:

Well I would think if you test rode both these bikes you would have made up your mind by now.
I find my rocket quite comfortable but then I havent ridden the victory.
My first ride on a rocket and I knew I wanted one........:D

Hi

I currently own a Vulcan 1700 nomad. I find it's time to make a change. Nomad is just a bit too cramped.

I have narrowed my focus on two bikes. XC or the Rocket III. I know they aren't really an apples to apples comparison but they both have a strong appeal to me.

Can anyone who has compared the two or owned both give me some feedback. It would be appreciated.

Looking to buy end of next season.

Have averaged about 15,000 per season.

Long rides? Yes. Love them
Storage important? Yes. Always pack too much
Passenger? Would like it, but wife is too scared right now.
Power? Nomad is under powered in my mind. XC would most likely be all I need, RIII more than enough
Comfort? Important. The nomad has a really good reputation but it's too cramped for me, and I am only 6'01".
Moding? Some, actually I like tinkering with the look. Lights, seat, paint & chrome.

Basically you've outlined your Mission Statement for the next bike. Easy enough to figure out, go ride them. Look at the accessories catalogs. Buy the one that suits your Mission Statement the closest.

BTW the Rocket will blow the Victory into the weeds on acceleration. :eek: Just so you know.:cool:

And don't forget the Victory is not only air cooled but it is also "oil cooled" (like most other bikes including the Rocket:D). I nearly cracked up when I saw that statement in one of their ads.

Dennis

For most of us R3 owners it was love at first sight, myself included, I almost forgot to test drive it before signing the papers so if you're not already blown away you might want to get a Victory.

Good luck my friend!

We sell both. R3 by a mile. The Vics are great bikes-well built and have all the doo-dads. But the R3 is a BIKE-unique as all get-out. A bike that you drive-a riders bike as I call it. No iPod, no elecrtic windshield, etc. A bit "old school" but a proper bike, indeed.

Also, 6K between oil change-this matters if you go out for a good ride, and easy to do basic maintenance without removing all the plastic.

I see why lots of customers want the Vics-nothing wrong with them at all. The Triumph is, for a lot of us, a unique bike you have to own. And, the MOTOR is just way over the top. The silly grin NEVER goes away.

YMMV

Back