Quick release seat

jtanc39

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket Touring 2008
didnt find anything after doing a search and was just wondering if anyone converted your bolted R3T seat into a quick release type?

Someone a while back drilled out the threaded holes & replaced the bolts with "hitch pins", (spring loaded) to hold the seat on. the pins are normally used in agricultural applications.

I did this first on my VTX and now on my Corbin seat on the R3. Works lie a charm. This is the detent pin I used. Drill out the threaded part (where the bolt would normally go) with a drill size to just fit the pin.

I found some hitch pins - didn't even bother drilling out the threads. The pins stay in there, especially once my 250lb ass is sat on top of them. Probably the best $5 enhancement to the bike.

Hitch pins. What a simple, most excellent idea. When Claviger was over to download the tune, my back was hurting so badly that he had to put the seat bolts back in. With pins one doesn'e even have to bend over to insert them.

Old geezer issue.

Ace Hardware has a big selection of thumb screws in SAE and Metric so I'm pretty sure they'd have ones would work on our Rockets but to me those pins are the easiest.

I just had to laugh a bit when I looked at those. Motorcycles are somewhat like boats in that items cost 5 times as much as generic. The thumb screws at Ace run in the $3-$7 range.

Last edited:
Hitch pins. What a simple, most excellent idea. When Claviger was over to download the tune, my back was hurting so badly that he had to put the seat bolts back in. With pins one doesn'e even have to bend over to insert them.

Old geezer issue.

Ace Hardware has a big selection of thumb screws in SAE and Metric so I'm pretty sure they'd have ones would work on our Rockets but to me those pins are the easiest.

I just had to laugh a bit when I looked at those. Motorcycles are somewhat like boats in that items cost 5 times as much as generic. The thumb screws at Ace run in the $3-$7 range.

Funny you mentioned boat items, my dad owned a marina when I was a kid, they had a store, I remember asking him how a set of 6 drinking glasses could possibly sell for the price marked, whatever it was, he said because there's pictures of boats on them, so they cost 5X more. Memory from over 50 years ago.

Funny you mentioned boat items, my dad owned a marina when I was a kid, they had a store, I remember asking him how a set of 6 drinking glasses could possibly sell for the price marked, whatever it was, he said because there's pictures of boats on them, so they cost 5X more. Memory from over 50 years ago.

And I also have a boat.

Back