Quick final drive install question

MartyCA

.020 Over
Ride
2015 R3R
So I performed my first tire change and spline greasing. Used loctite 8012, thinking back, I may have applied a little too generously in the shaft but I dont imagine that causing a problem. My question is, would blue threadlocker suffice for the 4 nuts holding on the final drive unit? At least until my next tire change? I already applied the blue and installed the tire. I probably should have used the red permanent stuff. If the blue stuff won't work, would I be safe removing one nut at a time to replace threadlocker? I carefully did the two stage torquing of those nuts and I dont want to risk warping the final drive.

They say that the blue thread locker is for when you really don't want the bolt/nut to come loose.

Green is for when you really really don't want it to come loose.

Red is for when you really really really don't want it to come loose.

Once the red sets, it requires considerable and damaging heat to separate the joint. Don't use it. It is indeed for PERMANENT fasteners!

Blue will be fine. I don't think Triumph actually use ANY thread locker there.

They say that the blue thread locker is for when you really don't want the bolt/nut to come loose.

Green is for when you really really don't want it to come loose.

Red is for when you really really really don't want it to come loose.

Once the red sets, it requires considerable and damaging heat to separate the joint. Don't use it. It is indeed for PERMANENT fasteners!

Blue will be fine. I don't think Triumph actually use ANY thread locker there.
Thank you. I feel better, now. Thing is, the threadlocker applied from the factory had to be brushed off with a metal brush. The blue stuff easily peels off. So I'm not sure which compound they used. ****, I think I may have went with the red for the torsion reaction bolt (I think that's what its called) for the brake caliper. It was pretty difficult to break loose, and the threadlocker had to be scraped off as well. It's been set for more than a few days, now. Should I try to remove and apply blue?

Yes.

Just don't use red!! I seem to recall it's something like 600 degrees to loosen it. Check the specs on Permatex website (or the packet??)

Last edited:
Thank you. I feel better, now. Thing is, the threadlocker applied from the factory had to be brushed off with a metal brush. The blue stuff easily peels off. So I'm not sure which compound they used. ****, I think I may have went with the red for the torsion reaction bolt (I think that's what its called) for the brake caliper. It was pretty difficult to break loose, and the threadlocker had to be scraped off as well. It's been set for more than a few days, now. Should I try to remove and apply blue?
Yes.

Just don't use red!! I seem to recall it's something like 600 degrees to loosen it. Check the specs on Permatex website (or the packet??)
It's the permatex red. Hopefully I can break it. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.

Just don't use red!! I seem to recall it's something like 600 degrees to loosen it. Check the specs on Loctite website (or the packet??)
Haha turns out I used blue. My memory is crap. I had two bike projects going on at once and I used the red for a different application on my vmax.

Hope I didn't mislead you... I was talking about Permatex threadlockers.

Colours of Loctite may have different specs.

From what I remember about Loctite Threadlockers, purple is the weakest, then blue, then red. We used red almost exclusively in the heavy equipment field especially on drivelines. The type/strength of Loctite you should use is also determined by the size and type of fastener along with what you are securing. You probably wouldn't use red Loctite when installing a bolt into aluminum or on a small fastener to secure a panel in place. Removing these would probably take the threads out of the aluminum piece or break the head off the small bolt if heat couldn't be used.

Green is used for wicking and is thin enough to apply to a fastener that has already been tightened. You don't have to remove the bolt to apply.

Back