Question regarding Garmin Zumo 550/GXM30 (XM) Receiver

Fishbein

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket III Touring 2014 (previously 2008)
What's up? So, got my Zumo 550 and love it. Got XM playing thru the car radio via an adapter that cost $10. Totally lovin' it. But it's only 30 degrees these days in DC, so I have not hooked it up to the bike yet.

As far as I can tell, it looks like hooking it up to the bike is fairly straight-forward, but I'm not clear on the GXM Receiver for XM Radio. Where exactly does it sit/attach, and it has to be bolted on, right? I assume it won't be easy to just pop off the bike and, therefore, you can't easily move it from the bike to the car and back again? So, if the GXM Receiver is bolted to the bike, then you have to buy another XM Receiver to keep playing XM in the car right? And the Zumo GPS Unit won't work w/ XM w/out the GXM Receiver? I like the Zumo 550 screen for XM, works great. Hope these questions made sense. Fish 8)

jrhorton said:
just buy the $6 adapter plate and it will stick to it magnetically..

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults ... fault.aspx

the antenna will stay with the GPS unit when you remove it off the bike.

You gotta be kidding! That's pretty simple... Thank a ton. So you move it between bike and car, no problem, and get XM w/ both?

you can buy a anntenna mount from rammount for 5 bucks or you can do what I did just used velcro and attached to the windshield. either works nothing else is needed for the zumo

scowherd said:
you can buy a anntenna mount from rammount for 5 bucks or you can do what I did just used velcro and attached to the windshield. either works nothing else is needed for the zumo

Hey, Scowherd, yeah, why didn't I think of that...I velcroed a light on the back....well, I suppose the magnetic connection is cool too....read your next message too: I was shocked when I learned that crap...the whole idea for me was to have the GPS and listen to Zep and Hendrix, etc. nonstop and w/ the bluetooth no wires, but looks like I have to use headphones...no big deal...was doing that anyway w/ my ipod. But you say there's a solution; call me a moron but I didn't understand exactly what I need to get and how does it work?

fish you can listen to xm via bluetooth and it works quite well you just need a dongle

http://www.thehelmetcenter.com/WiRevo-D ... 20968.html

This device plugs into the headphone jack on the zumo and yes it is very small and I velcroed it to the back of zumo pair you bluetooth with the dongle and you have stero bluetooth for everything xm. mp3,phone, and gps I use the camos headset it seem to work well.

Velcro the new duct tape

scowherd said:
fish you can listen to xm via bluetooth and it works quite well you just need a dongle

http://www.thehelmetcenter.com/WiRevo-D ... 20968.html

This device plugs into the headphone jack on the zumo and yes it is very small and I velcroed it to the back of zumo pair you bluetooth with the dongle and you have stero bluetooth for everything xm. mp3,phone, and gps I use the camos headset it seem to work well.

I also have the 550, but I think the Bluetooth is not stereo. Maybe you can get stereo from the hardware portion of the base unit. Anyone know?

The dongle plugs into the 3.5 headphone jack on the 550 mount. This dongle converts the out put to a 24bit stereo bluetooth... work with the 550 I have been using for over a year with no problem at all..

scowherd said:
The dongle plugs into the 3.5 headphone jack on the 550 mount. This dongle converts the out put to a 24bit stereo bluetooth... work with the 550 I have been using for over a year with no problem at all..

Thanks for the info! :D I don't think that any of the Bluetooth motorcycle headsets were stereo-enabled back when I bought the first gen Scala Rider.

Back