Question about R3R drinking oil.

Hubguru

It's Throttle Time!
Ride
2017 Rocket III Roadster, 2012 Kopavi V8 Trike
Hi All,

Over the years I would regularly check my bikes out with simple maintenance, oil level, air pressure, battery tenders, coolant level, ect... But for whatever reason, I did turn 50 a few months back, I haven't checked my rocket engine oil, ever. I did the 1000 mile checkup, oil change and have since put 6500 miles on the rocket. I was in the garage and glanced over at the Rocket and wondered what the oil looks like so I pulled the dipstick and it was bone dry. Flashlight down the tank and maybe an inch of oil in there, I can see the half pickup tube.

So my question, is it common for the rocket to drink a bit of oil? I have no indication of soot or the slightest of smoky exhaust and no oil leaks whatsoever. The bike being a dry sump, I'm guessing as long as some oil, even a little is in the tank the bike is being lubed properly, am I correct? The bike has not overheated or given me any indication of problem, oil light has never come on while running. I did notice some transmission shifting issues recently, a bit annoying lately finding neutral and I slipped out of fourth or fifth gear on a power run.

Any concerns here?

Thanks.

JR

Steel is right always start bike run for oh a minute to scaveng the oil that has leaked down. Then shut her off and while upright check the level.

What they said. If you look in the manual it states to run the bike for one minute, shut down and immediately check the oil level with the bike sitting upright (not on the side stand).

Ran bike for a bit, low oil in tank. IMG_1409.JPG

I've got a '17 Roadster too and I've never been that low on oil, even when I was having oil leak issues caused by the valve cover gasket(s) leaking.

Had 08 & 10 both had faulty non return valves. They would leak into sump overnight fixed it bought a 2015 x fingers crossed all good

Ran bike for a bit, low oil in tank. IMG_1409.JPG
Ok not sire what ran the bike for a bit amounst to in Texas time. But if you ran it for a minute while sitting on the bike upright. Shut her off and checked the oil level and that is what you have its kind of hard to see where it is on the dip stick from this angle. I am just trying to figure out how you were sitting on the bike when you took the picture. I recommend looking into it further. Check the air box to make sure you not blowing oil into it. Check cam covers and all around for leaking oil. Then to ne safe I would be wondering if is had the right amount of oil in it in the first place. Since you don't have a oil light thats on. The pump must still be supplying enough oil so I would wonder if it didn't have enough in it and see how much is in it by doing a complet oil change. Especially if your not sure how much oil you put in her. I have seen a few guys forget to top it off when refilling it and leave two quarts out by accident. Not trying to piss you off just stating what I've seen. Ya can't get all the oil in her the first time because the oil tank will not hold it. Most put 4 in run her for a minute shut her down and stuff the final two in. That's how I do it with a full change filter and all. I even put a 2x4 under the side stand when doing it so its more upright. Hope this helps. Don't get frustrated yet it might be just shorted on oil from the change. Make sure you look in the air box under the seat. Whether you have a filter in there or not.

Back