Quarter Turn Studs on R3T panniers - Any Other Connection Options?

Rogiecrockett

.020 Over
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
My right side pannier comes off easy - the left side is another story. The center hole in the quarter turn receptacle is all boogered up. Taking the panniers off and putting back on repeatedly for cleaning/maintenance/etc, has caused the center hole to get wallowed out. I have a new part on order but think this is likely to happen again. The receptacle is thin metal subject to deformation. The end of the quarter turn stud is flared out and they need bent back to stock position

Has anyone else modified this connection to another type or style?

If there was a slight amount of more room between the mounting rail and the bike, I would push a bolt through from the back side and then use a threaded nut and fender washer to tighten. I may still work on that option.

I want to use the panniers but want something that is removable with ease. Triumph's design looks simple but seems to fall short in practice.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
Dave.

From new I have been wary of the attaching studs on the R3T panniers, they look flimsy I have used silicon spray on mine since new and this makes the turn much easier,but as you say a modification would be possible , some sort of bayonet coupling would do,I am sure if mine fail I could come up with a quick fix, I have used modified compressed air couplings (male/female bayonet )fittings for simular quick release applications by running a 3/8 bolt through the centre and silver soldering it in place the end inside the pannier would only protrude 1/2 inch or so ,just a thought:thumbsup:

I have a similar problem with one of my studs. I actually removed it and all the fixins and drilled through the bracket. I have a simple nut & bolt in there at present. It takes all of a minute to tighten or loosen it to remove the bag.

Not sure if the same dimensions but they look like Dues fasteners that are used on race cars for quick access behind body panels. Any hot rod shop or mail order house like Jegs would have suitable replacements. Or for a lot more money Harley uses similar mounts on the current Street Glide bags.

IMG_0127.JPG
You can try this method if you can find clips like this I use theses to mount hardbags on other bike that I have

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the ideas.

I have gotten some messages so here it a couple of places I checked plus what was shared for ideas.

Www.jegs.com as suggested has a quarter turn product.

Www.southco.com carries DZUS quarter turn plus other quick access fasteners. They also sell quick turn captive screws.

Others have taken a bolt and tack welded from the back side and used a nut or knurled knob. See www.jwwinco.com

Thanks,
Dave.

I can't imagine the center hole getting enlarged affecting anything unless the metal clips won't stay in. As long as the spring clips that the pins attach to are good I would think that would do it. I usually lube the clip and pin to make things work easier. Once the pin is locked in the clip, the lube should not affect things coming undone. Can you enlarge the hole slightly and use a screw type grommet or threaded bushing to bring the hole back to size? Never had a problem yet.

I can't say anything about yours, but I've owned four R3Ts and the fastening of the bags to their frames has been one of the nice features. In my experience, if they're lined up right, they are easy and reliable, both going on and coming off.

It really makes it easy to get the bags out of the way for final drive, tire, and other service.

It also makes for easy R&R of the bags if the bike goes to the dealer. I don't like to subject the bags to the perils of a busy shop.

I've had other bikes with hard bags that were bolted on, and it was more aggravating to deal with a bolt-on system.

Back