Purpose of spring on driveshaft ???

cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
Hi! I assume, the purpose, is to keep the driveshaft shoved all the way forward, onto the spline of the output shaft, correct? When I assembled my last project, the spring was either missing, or lost in the shuffle, but I went ahead without it. Now notice a sort of grinding feeling at cruising speeds. I hope it's not the famous output shaft bearing. It is a 2015 engine. Anyone have a measurement of that spring? Length, width, wire size?o_O

I think you are right, i may have one, i can check if you wont me too. Or this is from hermys

Attachments

• 84DE3942-0B49-4B68-B655-AA7BEAD7E549.png
    84DE3942-0B49-4B68-B655-AA7BEAD7E549.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 18
Hi! I assume, the purpose, is to keep the driveshaft shoved all the way forward, onto the spline of the output shaft, correct? When I assembled my last project, the spring was either missing, or lost in the shuffle, but I went ahead without it. Now notice a sort of grinding feeling at cruising speeds. I hope it's not the famous output shaft bearing. It is a 2015 engine. Anyone have a measurement of that spring? Length, width, wire size?o_O
Seems likely to me the purpose is to keep the shaft pushed toward the engine. The mate I believe isn’t straight cut splines, meaning they end in a taper which will bind.
57EDEEE5-2391-4547-832D-1AD3CD6ECE16.jpeg

Ah Ha! And if it slid back and "bound", that would certainly cause a grinding/buzzz type of thing. I think I found one that should work, but would be nice to have the measurements of a stock one. I ain't about to pay Triumph price for a silly spring, and wait 2 months to get it. I'll pull mine apart, as soon as I get the front back together. Just spent hours cleaning my old neglected 05 front wheel, with steel wool, and Simple Green. What a chore, but looks nice. Now new bearings, seals, and a new Bridgestone Exedra G701 tire to mount up. Took the front apart, thinking/hoping the buzzz might be a front wheel bearing, don't think so, but will replace with new, just to narrow down things.

Back