Pulling the motor & Spliting the cog swapper case .....( help )

RacerX74

06 R3
Ride
The Mighty Triumph Rocket lll (06)
So looks like I'm signed up to the voyage of discovery of pulling the motor and splitting the crankcase to replace my worn No.2 cog .

The labour quote alone in my local bike shops looks like the national debt of Japan Greece and Zimbabwe Put together .

So my question to you all is have you done this before are there any glaring pit falls to avoid and any special tools I will need .

On the plus side I can check the valve clearance easily while the motors out also thinking if funds allow I may as well swop the standard top knockers for some performance items .

I think there may be someone one here I get some advice from with this at least… (@Joesmoe ;))

Cheers

No advice here. All depends on what you want out of life.

If you're going to all that trouble to open the motor, many possibilities are open to you - none cheap; some more expensive than others.

New pistons and valve gear with new cams (and oh by the way, must change intake and exhaust) could get you far.

Too much? Change the cams and cam chain tensioner (still have to change the intake and the exhaust) and call it a day.

And build into the schedule/budget a trip to the tuner.

Best of luck, and post plenty of photos.

Easy job although depending in where you are I would have a little other work done on the trans if nothing else but for safety. Easy job can do the transmission without disturbing the cam timing. Almost as easy as changing piston and headwork. Different animal though unless your crossing over.

20180124_110517.jpg

A one man job with some basic lifting gear

You NEED one special tool, your local Triumph dealer may let you borrow it. It's the flywheel removal tool, which I don't see at the moment in the parts fiche.

Don't try to pry the cases apart until you get the flywheel removed, it's impossible, you're not that good, you didn't figure out a new way. Flywheel MUST come off before splitting cases.

Other than that, use the manual, it makes it pretty easy :p

Back