PSA-Blue Ridge Parkway

JoseyR3Wales

Living Legend
Ride
2014 Victory Vision Tour
The Blue Ridge Parkway is now closed from just North of Asheville to Mount Mitchell according to the TV news and park rangers. We have had rain for at least two weeks now and a crack down the centerline of the road that is 6-8 inches wide and 6 feet deep and 100 yards long ( this means that the road may go over the side of the mountain) has developed. We are getting heavy rains again today so mountain riding may be tenuous at best for a little while. Mud slides have shut down several roads already. This concludes the PSA.

Yep! Raining here in Tryon right now! I poured out 7/10 inch this morning. I wish I had kept a log of how much we've had this year, but I didn't. I think I heard Asheville say we've had over 25 inches of rain over normal by this time of year. My garden is pitiful. Very few tomatoes and quality is terrible. Squash not producing, but cucumbers are doing ok. I have my boat raised up much higher than normal because of the water level here at lil Lake Lanier! :(

I fear that the age of this wonderful highway is catching up with it and this much water would ruin a modern highway. I also fear that the government may choose not to repair it as it is under Federal control and we have't funds for fireworks and we have grounded a third of our air force (RIP Dad) is grounded with no funds to keep it flying. Perhaps Egypt could send some cash back.

I know the environmentalists would advocate the BRP's closure in favor of it becoming a paved hiking path with Prius ONLY parking at the trail heads . Seeing that most folks using it are light skinned it may have seens it glory days already and we have seen her ( the BRP) before the eventual demise. This is a closure to watch.

Now one lane of US129 is closed in Tennessee for a little while. Thats is The Dragon for those that don't know it by its number.

Report today 7-19, crack is widening and road elevation on the "going over the mountain side" has dropped 3 inches. Say good night Gracie. This section will be closed for a long while. Detour I 40 to NC 221.

At least it appears the Feds are going to attempt to repair it. Although w shall see since NC is not one of Obama's favorite States.

Update. The BRP from Asheville to Mount Mitchell has re-opened. They built a temp two lane bypass.

Now back to my self imposed exile. You ladies have fun, or not.

Back