Prospective owner of R3

Which option to go for?

• Total voters

The Egyptian

Standard Bore
Ride
Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited 2012, Planning to buy Triumph Rocket III
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen

The Rocket III Stole my heart the moment I walked in the dealership here in Dubai, UAE.

After some research I found the touring version which was spot on to my needs (saddles, screen ..etc. for long, cross-border rides)

Unfortunately, the dealer told me they stopped making them a couple of weeks before :(

My only two choices now are:

1- Buy one from the US (located a few pieces here and there at dealerships in the US, can get it shipped over here and pay an arm and a leg for shipping plus wait about 6 weeks and I am really itching for the bike now, besides riding season here is all year minus summer)

2- Buy a Rocket 3 Roadster from here, and "build" my own Touring version by adding saddle bags, windscreen, engine guard .....etc.)

My question is : any other differences between the roadster and the touring editions?

and is this second idea feasible?

I would do the roadster because I couldn't wait yes you can add what you are asking to the roadster I own both a touring and a roadster just like some of the things better on the touring floor boards lower seat height just my opinion

I would do the roadster because I couldn't wait yes you can add what you are asking to the roadster I own both a touring and a roadster just like some of the things better on the touring floor boards lower seat height just my opinion

So roadster doesn't have floorboards as well?

No it doesn't and the Touring has the "hard" saddlebags, isn't as fast (about 106 HP compared to the Roadster's 147, Touring torque is around 154 ft/lbs versus the Roadster's 14). Roadster has two headlights versus one on the Touring. The dealer there was wrong they did not stop making the Touring a few weeks ago...he made have sold his last Touring in his dealership then but they are still being made.

No it doesn't and the Touring has the "hard" saddlebags, isn't as fast (about 106 HP compared to the Roadster's 147, Touring torque is around 154 ft/lbs versus the Roadster's 14). Roadster has two headlights versus one on the Touring. The dealer there was wrong they did not stop making the Touring a few weeks ago...he made have sold his last Touring in his dealership then but they are still being made.

I actually called Triumph UK (the head office) and they concurred with what he says.... the ones for sale around the world (2014s) are what has been already built. No more of them will be built.

regarding the HP and speed, why is there such a big difference? I figure the extra 20-30 KGs (or 40-60 LBs) won't make such a difference, or the engines are not the same on both ???

Engines are the same but tuned differently.
The bikes are quite different shapes, front and rear wheels are different sizes, Touring has gauges on the tank and Roadster on the bars. Tanks are different shape. There are also some annoying and inexplicable differences. Touring seat is bolted on, so it's a pain to get to the battery etc. Roadster seat lifts with a key. Touring side panels just clip on and are sometimes lost, Roadster's side panels bolt on, so a little more of a fiddle to get to the ECU or fuses, but at least they're secure.

Bottom line though is you can turn a Roadster into a very capable tourer. You'll find many pics on here through the gallery to give you ideas.

Welcome, by the way.

Engines are the same but tuned differently.
The bikes are quite different shapes, front and rear wheels are different sizes, Touring has gauges on the tank and Roadster on the bars. Tanks are different shape. There are also some annoying and inexplicable differences. Touring seat is bolted on, so it's a pain to get to the battery etc. Roadster seat lifts with a key. Touring side panels just clip on and are sometimes lost, Roadster's side panels bolt on, so a little more of a fiddle to get to the ECU or fuses, but at least they're secure.

Bottom line though is you can turn a Roadster into a very capable tourer. You'll find many pics on here through the gallery to give you ideas.

Welcome, by the way.

Thanks for the comprehensive, thorough reply.

If it's just a tune, I believe then a touring could be modified by means of some tuning device (such as the Harley SE Super Tuner, Dyno, Powervision ..etc., forgive me for using H-D terms as I am completely ignorant when it comes to Triumph) ..

Back to the Roadster-turned-touring project, gauges on the bar are actually cooler, a windshield and saddles can be added, and a seat with backrests can be swapped in as well .... so it's doable I assume ......

Should I get the screen, seat and saddles from the dealer, or aftermarket vendors have better options? and which brands?

Sorry for the one million questions from the Harley guy lol

and thanks a lot for your welcome !

Thanks for the comprehensive, thorough reply.

If it's just a tune, I believe then a touring could be modified by means of some tuning device (such as the Harley SE Super Tuner, Dyno, Powervision ..etc., forgive me for using H-D terms as I am completely ignorant when it comes to Triumph) ..

Back to the Roadster-turned-touring project, gauges on the bar are actually cooler, a windshield and saddles can be added, and a seat with backrests can be swapped in as well .... so it's doable I assume ......

Should I get the screen, seat and saddles from the dealer, or aftermarket vendors have better options? and which brands?

Sorry for the one million questions from the Harley guy lol

and thanks a lot for your welcome !

Get the Roadster and add all the Triumph gear to it, that would be the cheapest route unless you shop around and buy used.

Windshield, bags, backrest/rack, Roadster Touring Seat with rider backrest and crashbars with highway pegs and you are all set.

If you get a Touring model you can get most of the power back with a tune.

Just remember the Touring is smaller rear tire and different front suspension than the Roadster, one of the main reasons I went away from the Touring.

By the way do you ride with the HD club of Dubai? I know some of the guys in that club.

Get the Roadster and add all the Triumph gear to it, that would be the cheapest route unless you shop around and buy used.

Windshield, bags, backrest/rack, Roadster Touring Seat with rider backrest and crashbars with highway pegs and you are all set.

If you get a Touring model you can get most of the power back with a tune.

Just remember the Touring is smaller rear tire and different front suspension than the Roadster, one of the main reasons I went away from the Touring.

By the way do you ride with the HD club of Dubai? I know some of the guys in that club.

OK, so roadster it is. I will send an email to the dealer to get a quote for the parts .....

Yes I ride with HOG Dubai Chapter, we are heading to Muscat, Oman next weekend. Who do you know there?

OK, so roadster it is. I will send an email to the dealer to get a quote for the parts .....

Yes I ride with HOG Dubai Chapter, we are heading to Muscat, Oman next weekend. Who do you know there?
Juan van der Merwe - he is a South African working on 747's in Dubai. My brother is also there but he does not have a bike right now...

Back