Project 'Hydra' AKA Footboard Conversion on a 2014 R3R

Tonester

#justsayin'
Ride
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Hi guys, as the heading reads... 'Project 'Hydra'. I renamed my footboard conversion on my 2014 Roadster to Hydra because as soon as I solve one problem I seem to create another two. When I'm finished I'll do a proper step by step info sheet with some of the things I've had issues with. Anyway, the latest thing the challenge my sanity is the fitment of the 'car type' rear brake pedal on the Standard rails that came with my Footboard kit. Note: This is not the rear brake pedal that came with the kit- I prefer the look of the bigger brake pedal.
I didn't think that it would be an issue as I've seen the bigger brake pedals on other rockets... Here we go...

Issue 1. The pedal binds on the 'rail mounting section' (shown in yellow). There's very little movement before it locks up. Has anyone had any issues with this? Can anyone tell me the distance from the edge of the pivot bolt to the edge of the arm (shown in red)
Binding.PNG Binding2.PNG

Issue 2. After I bolted the pedal on and left scratching my head about it binding etc. I noticed that the foot section of the pedal didn't look right. It looks to me that it is bent up and inwards... Is it just me? Ergonomics? I think the second picture (without the yellow lines- looking rearwards) shows it better. I just want to check with you guys whether I need to send it back for a replacement before I let loose with a blow torch, a big hammer and an angle grinder!!! Any advice/help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Tony
Bent1.PNG Bent2.PNG

Last edited:
Hard to know, as I have never had boards.
Could it be an allowance for scraping the boards as it were

Oh, and if it is bent, that's not the reason it's binding. It's because -

a. Something's going on with the Standard rail fittment.
b.The quality of the rear brake pedal is sub standard ie too much metal around the pivot hole (the material around the pivot hole isn't even round!) - possibly bent too which is not good as this thing cost well over $200 AU
c. This type of brake pedal was not designed to work on Standard rails-period

With my fingers crossed, my money's on 'b' substandard quality...
T.

Ok. Was this kit a specific Roadster footboard upgrade? Or are these parts to suit a classic and you are retro fitting g to your Roadster?

OK without disassembling my Classic I took a quick look at the bolt hole center line to the mounting plate inner surface ( where you are rubbing) the two center lines are not the same. about 7/8 of a inch for the standard and about 1 inch for the Classic. This would explain why I never seen a standard floor board kitted bike with a Classic brake pedal.

below is a modified picture of yours with the center line measurement identified that I am referring to and were talking back shoulder of the welded mounting bracket on the left not the outside diameter of the pedal pivot.

I used a 6 inch scale :D

brake center line.png

Last edited:
Hmmm just noticed the chrome rails are they classic rails

This is where it gets confusing (thank you Triumph) I am fitting the footboard kit sold by Triumph as an accessory before the launch of the 'Rocket 3 Classic'. The rails sit higher and the footboards sit more at an angle. Part No. A9758085. I've been told that the rails used in this kit - (Officially referred to by Triumph as a "Classic" footboard kit) uses the rails from a 'Rocket 3 Standard'. Honestly, I need to lay down and have a cup of tea...

OK without disassembling my Classic I took a quick look at the bolt hole center line to the mounting plate inner surface ( where you are rubbing) the two center lines are not the same. about 7/8 of a inch for the standard and about 1 inch for the Classic. This would explain why I never seen a standard floor board kitted bike with a Classic brake pedal.

below is a modified picture of yours with the center line measurement identified that I am referring to and were talking back shoulder of the welded mounting bracket on the left not the outside diameter of the pedal pivot.

I used a 6 inch scale :D

brake center line.png
Thank you for taking the time to check that... OK so that makes sense why you don't see the bigger brake pedal on standard rails. As for your measurements, it wont take that much to clear the bracket on the rail and allow the pedal to pivot freely. So how about the actual pedal being bent as shown in the other pictures, what do you think?

Back